Environment 2019 Summer of Service Crew Leader (Colorado Springs)
If you would you like to lead a team and empower young people to explore careers in the outdoors… If you love forests, mountains, trails, hiking, parks, and feeling good about work each day knowing you’ve made a difference… If you want to work outside and make an impact on communities… This is what we do.
Join us as a 2019 Summer of Service Crew Leader (Colorado Springs). We need adventurous, hard-working problem-solvers to lead crews of 18-24-year-olds on 4- or 9-day camping hitches to complete land conservation projects in the stunning open spaces of Colorado’s Southern Front Range. Serve as a positive role model to your crew and enjoy a summer spent camping in the backcountry! At Mile High Youth Corps, each day is an opportunity to learn, laugh, and grow as we serve our communities and invest in ourselves.
Every moment counts. Accomplish something different this summer.
Timeline: Field-based, seasonal, full-time, exempt, 14 week program commitment, standard hours are Monday through Thursday OR Wednesday through the following Thursday – depending on crew – 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Location: Crew Leader will meet their crew at 417 East Vermijo Avenue and travel to work sites as a team in MHYC vehicles.
Position Dates: May 6 – August 9 (One early start Crew Leader is desired: March 29 – August 9)
· Orientation and Training: May 6-23
· 11 week production season starts May 28 and runs through August 9
Still not sure? Watch our 25th anniversary video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Q_2xiDBgU
Areas of Responsibility:
· Supervision and Management
o Provide daily supervision of the members of your crew.
o Maintain and promote positive crew morale.
· Work Project Implementation
o Proactively identify and mitigate safety related hazards on the job site.
o Oversee and implement a variety of conservation, service learning and community service projects for your crew.
o Serve as a liaison and on-site contact with project partners.
o Ensure timely, accurate and quality completion of work projects.
· Corpsmember Development and Education
o Promote individual learning, leadership and personal growth among Corpsmembers.
o Plan and facilitate crew meetings and team-building activities.
· Maintain thorough and complete records on each Corpsmember throughout the length of the program.
· Maintain complete and accurate records for each project.
• Previous experience working with Youth Corps is highly preferred.
• Experience with trail construction and maintenance, installation of rock and timber structures, fencing, noxious weed removal, pesticide application and/or general landscaping is preferred.
• Sawyer crew leaders should have significant experience working with chainsaws. S-212, MTDC or Game of Logging training with feller certificate required.
• High School diploma or GED required. At least two years of college or vocational training is preferred. Significant professional experience may be substituted for post-secondary education.
• Communication Skills: ability to motivate, organize and direct a crew of young people, and communicate effectively with a diverse group of people.
• Must have ability to complete tasks in a detailed and timely manner, work independently, and stay organized.
• Must be able to lift 75 lbs., spend 8-10 hours a day in the sun, hike 5 miles with a day-pack and operate hand and power tools.
• Must have valid driver’s license with insurable driving record.
• Pre-employment background check will be required. May be subject to FBI Background Check, which includes fingerprinting.
• Pre-employment drug screen required. Drug testing may be required during employment.
• Must be able to legally work in the United States, which will be verified via the federal E-Verify program.
$500 – $580/week, based on experience and qualifications. Food during camping trips is provided.
How to ApplyEmail resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org (include position title in subject line) or visit us in person at 417 E Vermijo Ave. Colorado Springs, CO 80903 Questions? Email email@example.com or call CJ Runge at 719.630.7421 ext. 402.
330 total views, 2 today