Other Outdoor Assistant Director for the Adirondack Semester
The Adirondack Semester is a unique program of place-based environmental education, involving 3 months of residence and academic study at a base camp in the Adirondacks, an extended backcountry trip, and a variety of outdoor activities. The program situates students on the boundary between modern civilization and wild nature and encourages them to study and reflect on their relationship with each of these and on the choices we must make in order to preserve the natural world. Faculty members commute to the site to teach a full university semester, including cultural and natural history of the Adirondacks, perceptions of nature, and a creative expressions course. (See http://web.stlawu.edu/adksemester/.) This is a full-time, six month appointment beginning July, 2020.
The Assistant Director will work under the supervision of the Director and in collaboration with one other Assistant Director, and will live on site 5 days/week. The two Assistant Directors share the following responsibilities:
• Teach the half credit ODST 101: Modern Outdoor Recreation course
• Help to plan, coordinate and mentor students through the Capstone Internship, a 3 week experiential capstone that takes place during the final weeks of the semester.
• Help to foster critical reflection on and discussion of the mission, goals and guiding principles of the program
Administration: (Communication, Logistics & Fiscal Responsibilities)
• Responsible for communication with faculty, staff, students, and parents
• Recommend and oversee annual purchase of new equipment and supplies
• Set up and oversee food purchasing including a CSA, grocery store accounts and orders through dining services
• Coordinate and help plan orientation, the semester schedule and weekly calendar
Oversight: (Risk Management, Facility & Community)
• Primary responsibility for updating and observing best risk management practices
• Set up and maintain program site including, yurts, buildings, solar array, composting toilet, and other infrastructure
• Facilitate and develop a living and learning community that is physically and emotionally safe for all to enjoy while participating in community activities such as cooking meals, chores and community meetings
Trip Leader & Planner:
• Plan, organize, and lead 5-14 day back country trips
• Plan and lead weekend outdoor activities for students during semester
The anticipated start date for this six-month appointment will be July 1, 2020. This appointment may be renewable in successive years. Compensation package will include salary, health insurance, and room and board on-site during the 3 months of the base camp residence and expeditions.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Wilderness First Responder and CPR
• Demonstrated experience as an outdoor educator and trip leader
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal, team and community building skills
• An individual who has a combination of administrative, teaching, outdoor leadership and backcountry experience.
• The successful candidate will serve as a model for students, demonstrating a positive attitude, tolerance, patience, openness to new ideas and application of the program’s environmental ethic.
• A familiarity with and an appreciation for the role and mission of a small, private liberal arts institution
• Basic handy person/carpentry skills helpful
Located at 23 Romoda Drive, Canton, NY, St. Lawrence University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For additional information about St. Lawrence, please visit http://www.stlawu.edu
How to ApplyInterested applicants must apply online at http://employment.stlawu.edu uploading all required materials which are defined in the “special instructions to applicant” section. Preference will be given to applications received by Jan. 6, 2020, applications received after that date will be reviewed as needed. Review will continue until the position is successfully filled. All offers of employment are contingent upon the finalist successfully passing a background (including criminal records) check.
523 total views, 1 today