Environment Camp Counselor
The Great Basin Institute at Galena is seeking a Counselor for a 10-week program beginning June 3rd, 2019 and ending August 9th, 2019. Start and end date are flexible. Our goal is to provide local youth with opportunities to experience the outdoors in a safe, fun, nurturing and engaging setting, and to provide academic, STEM education support for educators.
Informal Education through Science Exploration Camps in the forest is the focus of this Internship at Galena, six miles from south Reno. Counselors gain educational experience through providing local youth with opportunities to experience the outdoors in a safe, fun, nurturing and engaging setting, focused on academic, STEM education .
We are fortunate to live and work at 6,400 ft elevation in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, a short distance from the incomparable Lake Tahoe. Six natural ecosystems are within a 20 minute drive: High desert, forest, still water, wetlands, mountains and rangeland. You will see wild horses and coyotes and may see bears.
These positions are responsible for assisting the Naturalists, the Director of Education and Outreach, and the Education Coordinator with implementation of Great Basin Naturalists Science Exploration Summer Camp through the Galena Creek Visitor Center. These positions will serve as AmeriCorps members with the Great Basin Institute and will work collaboratively with the US Forest Service and Washoe County Regional Parks & Open Space.
• Assisting with the Great Basin Institute at Galena’s Summer Exploration Camp from June 10th to at least August 9th, 2019. Camps comprise theme-based activities that capitalize on the unique natural setting of Galena Creek Park and the Sierra Nevada region. Themes include natural and cultural history topics that allow children to experience the outdoors through discovery-based, STEM and environmental education. Camps include hands-on games, hikes, guided activities, field trips, guest presenters, exploration and play. Three weeks of camp are day only, with one day of overnight camping, and the last six weeks are residential camps at WeChMe Lodge.
• As the only fully outdoor environmental science field study program in Reno, our goal is to provide local youth with opportunities to experience the outdoors in a safe, fun, nurturing and engaging setting, and to provide academic, STEM education support.
Compensation and Benefits:
• Weekly stipend of $150, possible shared housing available
• Meals provided during the 6 weeks of residential camp.
• Trainings provided include but are not limited to: First aid and CPR course.
• Potential for a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award in the amount of $1,252.91
Additional Position Details:
• Assist the Director of Education, Education Coordinator, and a Lead Naturalist in delivering environmental education curriculum to students and youth in the field.
• Assist in assuring the safety of students and campers.
• Assist in presenting clear, well-organized educational programs that exemplify professional delivery, thematic development, cohesive structure that are consistently appropriate for the activity and the audience.
• Communicate effectively and develop relationships with camp and visitor center staff.
• Enforce camp policies, procedures and regulations.
• Recognize and assist in responding effectively to emergencies.
• Summer Camp, June 11- August 3, includes five weeks of 24 hr/day, Monday-Friday residence at WeChMe Lodge.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
• Interest in working with K-12 children and/or in natural history;
• Campfire skills (song leading, guitar, storytelling) desirable;
• Enthusiasm and commitment to youth outdoor education;
• Ability to work in harsh and rapidly changing environments, work in all types of weather conditions, and otherwise maintain good physical condition;
• Minimum of 16 year of Age.
How to ApplyHow to Apply: Qualified and interested applicants should use the link below to apply online. http://crcareers.thegreatbasininstitute.org/careers/careers.aspx?adata=EKVEuDCnebKtDmkoQQijonQw01C8ZN7u5PYaDC9HYCBRQDgHBSKH69xm6hS79eweDn19IPNSw4JLUcp%2f61ZBkzpVlHq92fcffdlxdQ5Nl3yQ7QhqK1dYve07emQ9QKwGqmKreXC3dDzmOppRrboHYQNYSxsh0%2fDlfNvg1XfJANRaNwclfCDZ2M2v3tAFe6PWtxjdjcTXaavJavxN37gKJLM%3d We conform to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit Retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.
109 total views, 3 today