Other Outdoor Challenge Course Coordinator
Challenge Course Coordinator
2020 Season • Spring • Summer • Fall
Burgess Outdoor Education & Retreat Center
YMCA Camp Burgess & Hayward • Sandwich, MA
Come join our fun and supportive community at Burgess Outdoor Education & Retreat Center, a YMCA facility located a short drive from the ocean on beautiful Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Our forested property is situated on over 300 acres which include three freshwater ponds, two state-of-the-art high ropes courses, a low ropes teambuilding course, climbing tower, educational farm, recreational waterfront, hiking trails, and dining and overnight facilities. We seek to instill wonder, encourage stewardship, and cultivate community through interactive outdoor experiences with our guests.
This position is a leadership opportunity for an experienced challenge course facilitator/outdoor educator looking to provide meaningful program for a wide range of youth and adult groups over a consecutive eight month period. The Challenge Course Coordinator will work closely with the Challenge Course Manager to assist in operation and oversight of the high ropes course, low ropes course, and climbing tower.
• Teach experiential outdoor programs to overnight youth groups. Programming emphasizes environmental education, team-building, and leadership development.
• Join our summer camp staff as an ‘Outdoor Pursuits (OP) Director’ – facilitate high ropes course for all summer campers and act as a resource for other OP Directors
• Facilitate teambuilding programming for middle school, high school, and college students through use of our varied adventure education options.
• Support grounds and facilities maintenance.
SPRING OE JOB DUTIES:
• Safely facilitate all positions on the high and low challenge courses
• Assist Challenge Course Manager in training staff on the challenge course
• Assist Challenge Course Manager in the maintenance and organization of all challenge course elements and gear
• Facilitate daily logistics for outdoor education staff
• Lead environmental education classes and teambuilding programming with confidence, accuracy, and enthusiasm
• Facilitate the safe use of our waterfront
• Speak clearly and audibly in front of large audiences
• Provide friendly and helpful customer service to all of our guests
• Support house-keeping, grounds-keeping, and dining operations
• Serve as an overnight staff member on call and an occasional cabin chaperone
A comprehensive, mandatory and paid multi-week training will cover technical challenge course skills required for the job, group facilitation strategies, and class curriculum.
• Passion for working outdoors with youth, teens, and adults
• Desire to facilitate environmental, teambuilding, and challenge course programs
• 21+ years old with a degree in a relevant area, or equivalent life experience
• Current American Red Cross Lifeguard/1st Aid/AED certification or willingness to obtain at own expense
• Ability to live and work as a positive team-player in a collaborative residential setting
• Capacity to give and receive feedback on a regular basis
• Physical ability to spend long, active hours outdoors in all elements, safely facilitating others
• Spring training begins: tentatively Sunday March 15, 2020
• Spring season ends: Saturday June 12, 2020
Expect to work long but extremely rewarding days outdoors in all elements. Daily hours are tailored to the needs of our guests. Evening and weekend work required. You will have two days off for every five days worked.
Pay is $435 per week. We provide comfortable staff housing, all of your meals while working, kitchen access, and laundry facilities. Internet is also available. You will have the dedicated support and guidance of our experienced full-time staff as you develop your leadership style and gain confidence facilitating others in outdoor activities. Additionally, Cape Cod is an awesome place to live! You will have access to a wide range of outdoor recreation equipment to help you enjoy it.
How to ApplyAPPLICATION PROCEDURE: Paper airplanes and carrier pigeons can be sent to N41.41.896, W070.27.261 or you can email a resume with cover letter to: email@example.com CONTACT INFORMATION: Katie O’Brien Challenge Course Manager & Retreat Center Director Burgess Outdoor Education & Retreat Center 75 Stowe Road Sandwich, MA 02563
356 total views, 1 today