Other Outdoor Coastal Camp Counselor
Founded in 1971, NatureBridge provides environmental science programs for students in the world’s best classrooms—our national parks. Our mission is to foster environmental literacy to sustain our planet. Our programs do so by exposing students to the wonder and science of nature and inspiring the stewards of tomorrow. As the largest residential education partner of the National Park Service, NatureBridge serves more than 30,000 students and their teachers each year and offers programs in six national parks: Yosemite National Park, Golden Gate National Recreation Area, Olympic National Park, Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area, Channel Islands National Park, and Prince William Forest Park. In order to further our mission, NatureBridge is committed to supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion and to promoting equal opportunity for students and staff in the field of environmental education. For more information, visit: naturebridge.org
Coastal Camp Counselors participate in the implementation of week-long, themed day-camp sessions from June 11 until August 17 ( with required training occurring June 4-8 ). Each weekly theme has been chosen to highlight and take advantage of our natural outdoor location in a stunning and unique national park setting in the Marin Headlands, part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Counselors support Camp Environmental Science Educators and are expected to engage themselves physically, intellectually, and emotionally to implement and design creative and unique activities and to be part of a participative/collaborative learning community. Counselors will be hired into one of three specific focus areas, Sports and Recreation, Arts and Crafts or Music and Movement for developing camper’s choice activities (please consider which focus area you would like to apply for based on the job description below). Counselors are provided housing for the duration of the contract. In some instances, counselors may be required to share rooms. Coastal Camp strives to diversify our workforce and seek applications by individuals from all backgrounds, abilities, cultures, orientations, identities, and communities.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Qualified candidates will create, lead and/or support activities for diverse groups of campers in one or more of the following focus areas twice a week: (1) arts & crafts, (2) music & movement, and/or (3) sports & recreation
● Desire and ability to be an active, engaged, and positive role model for campers at all times during the camp day
● Provide a nurturing, safe, and fun environment where campers play, explore, learn, and discover; exercise superb judgment around group and risk management and administer and document first-aid as needed
● Support Camp Educators by assisting with group management, food distribution, and maintaining camper safety and comfort over uneven terrain in all kinds of weather
● Proactively engage campers and manage safety in games and activities during early (8am – 9:15am) and extended care (3:30pm- 5:15pm).
● Assist with daily camp activity set-up and clean-up including maintaining camp art supplies, recreational equipment and camp spaces
● Participate in staff training week June 5 th – June 9 th 8:30am – 5pm each day and attend weekly camp staff meetings
● Work cooperatively with others within a live/work environment
● Perform other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE, COMPETENCIES AND EDUCATION
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
● Enjoyment of and desire to work with youth in an outdoor camp setting
● Previous experience working with children ages 4-12 in an informal, after-school, child care, camp, or outdoor setting within the past 2 years
● Must be available Monday through Friday from June 4th to August 17th
● Possess current CPR (Adult, Child and Infant) and First Aid certification or ability to get certified before the camp season begins. Wilderness First Aid highly preferred and encouraged.
● Ability to implement and model excellent risk management practices and maintain a safe environment for our campers and visitors
● Must be at least 18 years of age
● Commitment to diversity and inclusion within your work with campers and the greater camp community
● Effective communication and interpersonal skills with campers, management, and co workers
● Able to work flexible 8 hour shifts, including optional overnights
● Be pro-active, enthusiastic, highly motivated, punctual, organized, and capable of working as part of a collaborative team
● Willingness to be coached and openness to feedback
● Pass a background check and provide evidence of a negative TB test before start date.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to variable weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to regularly stand; walk up to 7 miles on uneven terrain; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb and balance; stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl; talk, hear, taste and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
● Generous compensation (plus additional compensation for evening/weekend work)
● Includes housing within Golden Gate National Recreation Area
● The opportunity to live and grow in a spectacular location with an amazing community
How to ApplyTo Apply Please email a current resume with three references and letter of interest to email@example.com Our hiring process runs through mid May and we will be contacting qualified candidates to discuss their qualifications and to answer questions about Coastal Camp.
446 total views, 2 today