Other Outdoor Course Director & Logistics Coordinator
NCOAE is seeking a Course Director & Logistics Manager to oversee courses and manage trip logistics, and as well as work in the field an Instructor as needed, assuring the safety of trip participants while facilitating multi-day adventure education courses in the field.
Must be able to manage risks and assure effective courses, while serving as an educator and role model. Must be able to teach and facilitate NCOAE’s curriculum to teens, and adults, complete documentation accurately and in a timely fashion and lead in pre-trip and post-trip meetings. Additional duties include: facilitating meaningful group experiences and setting an emotionally and physically safe, fun and engaging tone for students to follow.
Major Job Responsibilities & Duties:
• Oversee courses, custom programs and trainings throughout the planning, implementation, in-field, wrap-up and evaluation phases.
• Serve as a primary link between: a) NCOAE and instructors prior to and during the time they are in the field, and b) outside agencies and third-party vendors wherever assigned courses, programs and trainings are run.
• Assist with instructor hiring, training, mentoring and evaluation.
• Supervise and evaluate all staff working on assigned courses, programs and trainings.
• Assist with the identification and exploration of new locations for courses, custom programs and trainings, as well as with the development and implementation of local operating procedures and plans.
• Manage gear & food pack systems.
• Manage and maintain inventories of food, gear, and course supplies. Report course needs to supervisor.
• Follow systems for gear management to ensure easy packing, cleaning, repairing, and inventorying of gear and food.
• Orient staff & interns to equipment, food, and transportation procedures. Maintain expectations with staff about their role in logistical systems.
• Lead pre-trip pack outs, assisting field instructors as needed.
• Lead post trip debriefs and gear de-issues, assuring program cleaning and handling of all course equipment.
• Communicate in a clear, effective, and timely manner to the Program Director, interns, instructors and other staff.
• Consistently strive to share & receive feedback from co-workers & supervisors.
• Organize and schedule routine vehicle maintenance, including weekly checks, oil changes, tire rotations, & safety inspections.
• Maintain organization and conduct routine cleaning of equipment and food storage areas.
• Prepare and submit a variety of paperwork, including vehicle logs, inventories, and other reports as requested.
• Provide transportation of gear, field staff, and/or participants, including to and from the field.
• Respond to field emergencies as needed, including providing emergency transportation, supply delivery, or field supervision.
• Maintain the physical and emotional safety of students, serving as a role model and managing behaviors in a positive manner.
• Contribute to maintaining safe, fun and engaging courses, supporting the instructor team as necessary.
• Assume instructor role and responsibilities for assigned courses, programs and/or trainings.
• Participate in mandatory NCOAE-related trainings and meetings.
• Commit to own professional development, including technical & interpersonal skills.
• Other duties as assigned.
• 3+ years of experience working with wilderness programs, outdoor education, outdoor recreation, residential summer camps, or related field
• Current Wilderness First Aid certification
• Competency in risk management skills
• Prior experience working in a supervisory role
• Maintain a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
• Prior to hiring: Satisfactory completion of an NCOAE on-campus instructor training or NCOAE Outdoor Educator Training
•At least 1 year prior experience in logistical/support position
•Bachelor’s degree (or working towards) in Outdoor Education, Outdoor Recreation, or related field preferred
•Wilderness First Responder (or ability to obtain preferred)
•Knowledge and passion for NCOAE programs, curriculum and operating philosophy.
How to ApplyTo apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org
113 total views, 1 today