Other Outdoor English Teacher
The Outdoor Academy is an accredited, residential, semester school for high achieving tenth-grade and select ninth- and eleventh-grade students. Rising from a long tradition of experiential education at Eagle’s Nest Foundation, a non-profit organization chartered in 1950, The Outdoor Academy incorporates a college preparatory curriculum with environmental education, wilderness leadership, unique arts offerings, and regional studies in a small community setting. Established in 1995, The Outdoor Academy enrolls up to 28 students from across the United States each semester to attend our school located in Pisgah Forest, North Carolina.
Members of the Faculty at the Outdoor Academy have academic, community and outdoor program responsibilities. The English Teacher is responsible for teaching two sections of the OA English curriculum,
which focuses on place-based literature and nature writing.
1. Design and follow a semester syllabus
2. Mentor students in their academic growth
3. Evaluate student performance
4. Be available to work with students on English assignments outside of class as needed
5. Serve as Advisor for students
6. Attend faculty meetings and development training
All faculty members serve in a number of capacities in the community life of this residential school. Each faculty member is assigned to some combination of the following responsibilities: be in residence with the students up to 2 nights per week, cook breakfast one morning per week, supervise morning chores, participate in weekly student work crews, facilitate dinner clean-up, proctor study hall, or be on call to take students to appointments off campus.
OUTDOOR PROGRAM RESPONSIBILITIES
All faculty members play a role in our experiential outdoor education program. Faculty members may be expected to instruct or assist in instructing students on white-water paddling, rock climbing, or backpacking treks. Each faculty member’s participation in the outdoor program is formalized in his/her contract for employment, and is based on skill and experience level, as well as any physical limitations.
JOB SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
1. BS or BA degree required, advanced degree preferred.
2. Prior teaching experience in English, Literature, or Language Arts.
3. Experience working with young people in academic, experiential, outdoor, or residential settings preferred
4. Wilderness First Aid required, Wilderness First Responder preferred
5. Well-developed planning and organizational skills
6. Strong oral and written communication skills
7. Experience in curriculum development, experiential education, and interdisciplinary collaboration preferred
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND SCHEDULE
• The majority of work will be conducted on campus; however, off-site work in the outdoors supervising teenagers will occur several times each semester. The ability to work long days in hot and/or cold environments and lift heavy gear and boxes is required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
• Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed to fulfill program demands.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The Outdoor Academy provides a twelve-month salary for full-time, year-round employees and faculty (Contract August-July), on-campus room and board, contributory healthcare benefits, retirement plans, extended holiday and summer vacation periods, pro-deals, and outdoor leadership training. Specific benefits for the position are outlined in the employment contract.
How to ApplyTO APPLY Send resume, cover letter, and application form (available at http://www.enf.org/outdoor-academy/oa-employment/) as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Andrea Haulk, Payroll and Human Resources Manager Eagle’s Nest Foundation and The Outdoor Academy 43 Hart Road Pisgah Forest, NC 28768 Email:email@example.com www.theoutdooracademy.org Eagle’s Nest Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disabling condition, or sexual orientation.
365 total views, 2 today