Other Outdoor Outdoor Trip Leader
Have fun and watch campers grow while participating in amazing activities such as rock
climbing, whitewater rafting, backpacking, orienteering, llama treks, horsepacking, mountain biking, caving, snorkeling, scuba diving, surfing, and sea kayaking. Be a leader to campers as they strive to reach a personal goal and build confidence in themselves. Change a life by showing campers how to overcome challenges, face fears, and discover their strengths. Find adventure and step out of your comfort zone on expedition style trips in North Carolina, Florida, California, and Wyoming. Make a difference in a camper’s life!
Outdoor Trip Leader:
Available: NC/FL: May 21 – August 17; WY/CA: May 26 – August 14.
• Supervise a group of 7-8 students (2 staff per group), for 24 hours a day, on 10 to 26 day courses
• Demonstrate sound and safe decision making when facilitating adventure based expeditions
• Facilitate the development of life skills, organizational skills, self-esteem, problem-solving strategies, communication techniques, and social skills;
• Assist in developing personal goals for each student;
• Develop a comprehensive student evaluation at the end of each course;
• Act as a role model for students by demonstrating maturity, responsibility, good organizational skills, and professional behavior.
• Minimum 21 years of age (some exceptions allowed);
• 2 years of college experience, preferable in Recreation, Education, or Psychology
• Current WFA and CPR certifications; Lifeguard required for FL and CA staff;
• Experience and/or desire to work with LD and AD/HD youth
• Experience in and/or desire to learn outdoor adventure activities; strong organizational and time management skills preferred.
• Patience, energy, enthusiasm, flexibility, maturity, and integrity required
Expectations for the position include: Compliance with all policies and regulations of SOAR;
understanding the personal needs of instructors are secondary to the emotional and physical well
being of our clients; utilizing behavior management techniques consistent with the program
philosophy at SOAR; acting in a professional manner at all times to promote SOAR and the
profession; developing an appropriate setting in which the student may learn from example;
understanding the care of students in a 24 hour setting; and maintaining current records of
student progress and documenting strategies utilized during the course for parents and student.
Expectations also include being able to fulfill the physically demanding requirements of the
position including but not limited to: being able to hike with a backpack weighing 25-40 pounds
over rough and mountainous terrain for 5-10 miles per day; being able to perform upper body
tasks such as belaying or guiding a whitewater rafting trip; camping outdoors for extended
periods of time in a variety of environmental conditions such as cold, heat, rain, lightning, etc.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities,
duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. SOAR, Inc. provides equal
opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
How to ApplyApply at: https://soar.campintouch.com/ui/forms/application/staff/App
548 total views, 1 today