Environment Forestry or Trail Crew Member – Nevada Conservation Corps (Fall)
The Service Experience:
Spend a season or more working and camping outside at some of Nevada’s premier natural areas. Serve alongside volunteers from across the country while making a lasting contribution to Nevada’s natural resources and heritage. Gain valuable field experience while working on habitat improvement, restoration, and recreation projects with the U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, the National Park Service, and many other federal and state agencies. Learn firsthand from federal employees and specialists about natural resource and conservation careers. Projects may include trail construction and maintenance, hazardous fuels reduction, and habitat restoration.
Fall projects in Northern Nevada may include:
• Trail maintenance around Lake Tahoe and northern Nevada
• Wildfire fuels reduction and native species plantings in Susanville, California with the Bureau of Land Management
• Historic structure restoration at Lassen Volcanic National Park with HistoriCorps
• Forest thinning and habitat restoration in Ely, Nevada with the bureau of land management
• Wildlife exclosure construction with the US Fish and Wildlife Service
• Building and maintaining trails, restoring and improving wildlife habitat, and reducing hazardous fuels in our forests and public lands;
• Camping up to seven nights in wilderness setting without formal restroom facilities or running water;
• Making a commitment of national service to our landscapes and communities;
• Maintaining a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service;
• Communicating effectively with crew members, crew leaders, NCC staff and agency project staff;
• Complying with both production and quality work standards established by NCC Administration, crew supervisors and project partners;
• Contributing to basic duties at the campsite including cooking, cleaning and organizing crew equipment;
• Showing respect when interacting with other members, leaders, staff, project sponsors and community members;
• Participating in in-field education sessions;
• Percentage of time spent on: labor– 70%, traveling– 20%, hiking– 10%;
• Lifting 25lbs continuously and 50lbs occasionally.
Make sure to check the Nevada Conservation Corps overview page here.
• Must maintain a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service.
• Be able to communicate effectively with members, crew leaders, NCC staff, and project partners.
• Possess the willingness and ability to work and camp up to seven nights in a row, in a wilderness setting, in all weather conditions, without formal restroom facilities or running water.
• Be able to lift 25lbs continuously and 50lbs occasionally
• Be at least 17 years of age
• Be a US citizen or legal permanent resident
• Must possess a high school diploma or GED
• Must be eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime or the equivalent of two full-time education awards).
• All position offers are conditional upon completion of an acceptable check of the National Sex Offender Public Registry, State of Residence and State of Service check, and federal criminal background check.
How to ApplyHow to Apply: To learn more and apply, please follow the link below: https://www.vscyberhosting.com/greatbasin/Careers.aspx?req=2021-NCC-021&type=JOBDESCR
142 total views, 1 today