Environment Great Basin Institute – Conservation Exchange Crew Member
In partnership with American Conservation Experience (ACE), Great Basin Institute (GBI) is offering a short-term exchange opportunity to earn practical and environmental work experience participating in trail construction or forestry projects under the guidance of ACE’s staff members. The goal of the position is to accomplish meaningful project work while being exposed to various field techniques such as trail construction and maintenance, chainsaw operation, dry stone masonry, and Leave-No-Trace principles.
All work is physically demanding, sometimes requiring stints in the backcountry and/or extended stays in the field. This position requires hiking, backpacking, camping and cooking outdoors while at front country and wilderness spike camps.
August 28th, 2017 – November 16th, 2017
Total Living Allowance: $ 3,500
Projects will take place at various locations throughout California. All participants must be flexible and willing to be assigned to a variety of locations and for multiple agencies, wherever community need is the highest. Projects awarded to ACE California typically vary in length from 4 days to 4 months so members should expect varied opportunities during their 13-week term. Crew members’ project schedule is comprised of multiple short-term ‘hitches’ on average 8-11 days long. Members return to the same project until completion, and/or to other projects in motion. Flexibility is necessary for locations during days-off, as you will spend days-off in housing locations of Santa Cruz and South Lake Tahoe.
Compensation and Benefits:
To help offset your living costs while you are volunteering with us, AmeriCorps Volunteers are paid a biweekly living allowance. (taxable income)
Upon successful completion of your term you will be given access to your Segal Education award which can be used for Title IV university/college tuition or to pay for federal student loans. The education award is only considered taxable income on the day you use the award. [?]
Education Award amounts are dependent on the length of your term:
For a 3 month term the amount is $1,527.45
Affordable Care Act Compliant Health, Dental and Vision Insurance will be completely paid for at no cost to you by the Great Basin Institute.
Food will be provided for you during work in the field.
If you are currently paying interest on any federal student loans you have the option to put those loans into forbearance during your time as an AmeriCorps volunteer. [?]
Educational Affiliation Agreements (College Credit)
The Nevada Conservation Corps will take part in Affiliation Agreements with your university in order to allow you to receive college credit hours for your term of service.
• Ability to work for 10.5 hours a day and to contribute to post-work day tasks and chores.
• Ability to hike up to 10 miles a day with heavy backpacks
• Ability to carry 25 pounds continuously and 50 pounds occasionally.
• Ability to camp up to seven consecutive nights in primitive locations without access to running water and restrooms in all possible weather conditions. Assisting in food preparation, planning, and clean up
• Ability to effectively operate machinery and tools while following production and quality standards set by the Nevada Conservation Corps.
• Follow strict safety protocol and maintain personal safety of self and others.
• Ability to commit to an entire term of service with AmeriCorps
• Be at least 17 years of age.
• Be a U.S Citizen or Legal Resident Alien
• Be able to complete a successful check of the National Sex Offender Public Registry and a federal criminal background check.
• Be eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (Limit of four unique terms in a lifetime or the equivalent of two full-time education awards).
• Possess High school diploma or GED (or provide proof of intent to complete before using education award)
How to ApplyTo apply: http://crcareers.thegreatbasininstitute.org/careers/Careers.aspx?rf=ADVENTUREJOBS&REQ=2017-GBI-005
213 total views, 5 today