Other Outdoor International Wilderness Instructor
Wilderness Instructors Wanted to Teach Summer Courses for Teens Abroad!
Over the past twenty years, Broadreach has taken more than 17,000 students on our study abroad programs to over 40 countries. With programs for middle school, high school and college aged students, Broadreach courses span the globe exploring extraordinary destinations and fascinating topics through hands-on instruction, field research and service learning.
Critical to our success is our team of knowledgeable program leaders who inspire students, foster personal growth and cultivate leadership development. Broadreach instructors prioritize safety and risk management while also serving as mentors and friends to their students. They are engaging, energetic, and fun role models who enjoy building meaningful relationships with students. Leading a Broadreach program is a fulfilling, exciting, and demanding position.
Wilderness Instructors lead courses for high school or college students in Africa, Central and South America, Europe, and North America. Programs can be mentally and physically challenging for students and instructors which makes maintaining a positive attitude essential. Programs are limited to 12 students and led by two instructors who manage everything from delivering course content to leading activities and more.
Wilderness Instructors work with their co-leader to supervise students 24/7, facilitate group dynamics, lead games and community service activities, and other program tasks. Flexibility, teamwork, the ability to multi-task, and provide a fun, positive and cohesive community are all important requirements.
Contracts range from four to ten weeks in length from early June through mid-August.
· Experience leading teens on multi-day programs in outdoor environments or outside of the U.S.
· Strong desire to work closely with teens to educate and support their growth academically, physically and emotionally.
· Experience leading the activities offered on the course, which may include hiking, camping, horseback riding, rafting, surfing, canoeing, sea kayaking, outdoor cooking and other outdoor activities.
· Group facilitation experience and understanding group dynamic and conflict resolution concepts.
· Passion for mentoring and motivating students and fostering cultural learning.
· Strong decision making skills, able to work without direct supervision and adaptable to often changing, dynamic environments.
· Proficiency in the language spoken at the program location (Spanish, French or Italian) preferred for all programs and required for language immersion programs.
· Wilderness First Responder (WFR) or willingness to obtain certification before programs required.
· Good physical health and stamina to actively participate and encourage students throughout program duration.
· Demonstrated success working on diverse teams with a collaborative mindset.
· Strong organizational skills to manage budget, program expenses, student documents, etc.
· Great communication skills. We work with a variety of stakeholders in diverse locations and seek someone with a professional demeanor to serve as Broadreach ambassadors to our international partners throughout the world.
· College degree preferred.
· Knowledge of host country and cultural norms or a willingness to learn and passion to share this information with students ideal.
· Able to attend staff training in Raleigh, North Carolina the first week of June.
· Open availability from late May to late August strongly preferred.
· Applicants with Spanish skills and extended travel experience in Latin America highly regarded.
· Some programs require a valid driver’s license and the ability to drive a manual car.
How to ApplyTo apply: submit your resume and availability to www.broadreachstaff.com
475 total views, 1 today