Other Outdoor Internship – paid
The Northwest Outward Bound School (NWOBS) Intern Program is designed to give experience in all facets of program operations. The primary role of an intern is to develop their own technical and educational skills through shadowing instructors and logistics coordinators, as well as attendance at training. The secondary role of an intern is to assist the program through teaching lessons to students, helping manage students during course functions and appropriate course activities, assisting with standard warehouse operations, completing service at the base camp, and assisting with driving. Our hope is that interns will enhance and develop skills that apply to the outdoor industry, while being inspired and supporting the mission of Northwest Outward Bound School.
We are seeking committed staff to attend May trainings and work courses from June to August/September.
We have two basecamps: 1. Odin Falls (Redmond, Oregon) – rock climbing, whitewater rafting, backpacking, and mountaineering. 2. Mazama (Mazama, Washington) – canoeing, rock climbing, backpacking, mountaineering, and sea kayaking. You may indicate a preference for working at either basecamp.
Applications open November 1st. Interviews begin in December. Work offers announced January-February. Training begins in early May. Positions open until filled.
• Must be 19 years or older.
• Current CPR Certification and Basic First Aid Training or willing to obtain.
• Ability to carry and load/unload weights up to 60 lbs.
• Able to camp outside and has an understanding of concepts in at least one of our outdoor course activities: backpacking, rock climbing, mountaineering, whitewater rafting, sea kayaking, and/or canoeing.
• Able to give clear, effective, and timely communication with co-workers and administration.
• Experience working in a team setting with one or more colleagues.
• Ability to have open, honest, and difficult conversations, including the ability to give and receive feedback.
• Has strong organizational skills, attention to detail, motivation, initiative, follow through, and commitment.
• Knowledgeable with outdoor gear, maintenance, and appropriate use.
• Field experience in outdoor education programs preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
• Starting rate is $250/week.
• Meals and rustic housing are provided for the duration of the seasonal contract.
About Northwest Outward Bound School
With over 50 years of innovation in experiential and outdoor education in the Pacific Northwest, Northwest Outward Bound School (NWOBS) continues to change lives through challenge and discovery. Our transformative and educational wilderness courses are set in some of the most dramatic and stunning parts of the United States. NWOBS was founded in 1965 and facilitates wilderness-based programs in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho, and also serves urban youth and schools in the Portland metropolitan area. As an Outward Bound school, we are committed to the core values of compassion, integrity, excellence, equity, inclusion and diversity, and strive to achieve the following outcomes: building character, developing leadership skills, and creating an ethic of social and environmental responsibility.
How to ApplyGo to https://www.nwobs.org/connect/employment/field-positions-and-internships/
323 total views, 3 today