Other Outdoor Kitchen Assistant
Opal Creek Ancient Forest Center is seeking a dynamic Kitchen Assistant for our 2018 programming season! We are seeking someone who takes pride in producing nutritious and delicious meals.
Work year: Seasonal: to November 15, 2018
Responsible to: Food Service Manager; Program Director
Compensation: $10/hour, plus housing, utilities, and partial board
The Opal Creek watershed is 35,000 acres of protected rainforest, part of the last remaining low-elevation old-growth forest left in the Pacific Northwest. Soaring trees dripping with moss, crystal-clear streams, and a diversity of old-growth-dependent species make Opal Creek a unique gem in Oregon’s crown. At its center is the historic off-grid mining town of Jawbone Flats, our base of operations since the Opal Creek Wilderness was created in 1996.
At Opal Creek Ancient Forest Center, all of our work is based around one simple idea: people will protect what they care about, and they will care about what they know. Through our outdoor school, summer camps, and workshop programs, we bring kids and adults face-to-face with the outdoor places that make Oregon great—pristine mountain streams, uncut vistas, and old-growth forests.
Summary of Position
The Kitchen Assistant works in our renowned Jawbone Kitchen. We operate a small, open kitchen and seek to produce nutritious, locally sourced, and mostly vegetarian meals that surpass guest expectations. Meals are an essential and highly valued component of our programs and quality is of the highest importance to our organization. In addition to kitchen work, this position also works with aspects of our hospitality operation. This is a residential position, and Kitchen Assistants will live at Jawbone Flats in housing provided by the organization. Responsibilities of the position are listed below:
• Meal preparation
• Dishwashing (by hand)
• Maintain kitchen in a clean and safe condition
• Maintain a positive and hospitable environment for guests
• Host cabin renters, ensuring their stay is comfortable
• Drive gear shuttles; load and unload cabin rental gear
• Clean cabins to rental standards
• Staff the company store, selling merchandise to participants and the general public
• Engage with the general public as they pass through Jawbone Flats
We have a small staff and everyone is required to help in all aspects of running a remote residential facility with a diversity of programs. This position may be asked to assist the program and facility departments at times.
Requirements of Position
• Previous experience in commercial or camp-like kitchen
• Previous experience with from-scratch cooking and baking preferred
• Knowledge of efficient food production
• Familiar and skilled with standard kitchen appliances
• Thrives in an independent working environment
• Able to improvise: both in general and specific to kitchen equipment use and recipe interpretation
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• A curiosity and passion for continuous learning
• A desire and the ability to live and work in a remote residential environment with a small number of people
• Possesses the qualities of integrity, adaptability, enthusiasm, and good humor
• Able to lift heavy objects, up to 50 pounds when necessary
• Able to pass a background check
• Able to drive company vehicles
• Current driver’s license and able to qualify for coverage under our insurance
• Oregon Food Handler’s Card by time of employment
• First Aid and CPR certification by time of employment
How to ApplyPlease send a resume and cover letter to Megan Selvig, Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is open until filled.
549 total views, 2 today