Environment Land Conservation Crew Member
The Summer of Service Program (SOS) is an intensive, team-based, 12
week-long program. The SOS Corpsmembers serve on conservation
and environmental stewardship projects throughout the Southern Front Range area while engaging in meaningful education activities. Corpsmembers have the choice to serve on either a Hand or Sawyer
• Biweekly Stipend: Earn a living stipend of $720.00 per pay period, every two weeks. The first pay day will be June 2, 2017.
• AmeriCorps Education Award: Earn a scholarship of $1,527.45 upon successful completion of the term (450 hours of service). This award can be used to pay tuition or pay back qualifying student loans. Individuals have 7 years to use the award.
This a temporary position, from May 15, 2017 – August 11, 2017.
• 450 hours of service in a 12 week commitment.
• At least 36 hour service weeks, on average 40 hour weeks, M-F. Schedules may vary depending on project.
• There may be positions that require overnights.
• On Land Conservation: Complete physically demanding
conservation projects on public lands through the
Southern Front Range area. Projects include trail
construction and maintenance, fencing, campground
improvements, noxious weed eradication, wildlife
habitat improvements and public land maintenance and
• Mile High Youth Corps: Provide logistics support
including but not limited to building, vehicle and tool
maintenance. Overnight crews may be responsible for
additional camp chores such as preparing meals and
educational activities in the evening or morning.
• Trainings: Tool training and hands-on technical training related to all projects. Sawyer Corpsmembers will earn an S-212 chainsaw equivalency certification.
• Education: Lessons focused on environmental stewardship, leadership, civic engagement, college and career prep and other trainings that will prepare for life after MHYC.
• Student Loan Forbearance: Possible through the National Service Trust on qualifying federal government student loans.
Health Insurance: May be eligible for health insurance the 1st of the month after serving with MHYC for sixty days. Member share of health insurance premium is $80 per month.
• Must be between the ages of 18-24 and eligible to legally serve in the United States, which will be verified via the federal E-Verify program.
• High school or equivalency graduate or still enrolled.
• Must be eligible for enrollment in AmeriCorps as a US Citizen, National or Lawful Permanent Resident. Documentation will be required on the first day.
• Must be physically fit, able to lift 75 lbs., spend 8-10 hours a day in all weather conditions (e.g., sun, heat, wind, rain, etc.) and hike 7 miles with a day-pack.
• Able to be on time and maintain attendance throughout term of service, available for a minimum of 450 hours of service, 40 hours per week.
• Diligently follow Leave No Trace ethics.
• Must commit to complete the program and participate fully in service projects and educational activities.
• Must bring identification documents necessary to complete the I-9 and other forms on your first day. Examples of such documents are a passport or a driver’s license and birth certificate or other equivalent documents.
• Experience or strong desire to learn the technical skills needed to effectively maintain public lands.
• Must be willing to serve hard, actively participate as part of a team and be dedicated to the Youth Corps philosophy.
• Pre-service National Service Criminal History Check required. May be subject to FBI Background Check, which includes fingerprinting.
• Pre-service drug screen required. Drug testing may be required during term.
• Member must not engage in any prohibited activities as listed in the AmeriCorps Member Service Agreement and appropriately represent Mile High Youth Corps both in behavior and dress code.
• Fully comply with organizational policies and procedures regarding high quality service, tool management, paperwork completion and data accuracy.
How to ApplyTo Apply: Visit our website at www.milehighyouthcorps.org and click “Apply Now”. Or visit us in person at our SFR Field Office 417 East Vermijo Ave., Colorado Springs, CO 80903. Questions? Please email email@example.com or call 719-630-7421 Mile High Youth Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Mile High Youth Corps is committed to the inclusion of members with all levels of ability. Reasonable accommodations are available upon request. This program is available to all, without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, political affiliation, or, in most instances, religion.
342 total views, 1 today