Other Outdoor Lead Teacher
30 hours per week
September – May
Palouse Roots of Moscow, Idaho is an outdoor school for children ages 4-7 with the goal of positively connecting children with nature and stimulating their curiosity about the world around them. We have an opening for a LEAD TEACHER, 30 hours per week during the 2019-2020 school year. The rate for this position is $15-$16 per hour DOE. This teacher will work on our campus Monday-Friday 7:30am-1: 30 pm. This position is only for the school year, September – May, with holiday closures following the Moscow School District. It is a 9-month appointment with the opportunity to renew. Candidate must be available to attend a conference on August 9-11 and paid orientation August 26-30.
The purpose of this position is to teach a classroom of 8 children between the ages of four and seven years, in an outdoor environment. In addition, this teacher will lead a toddler and caregiver program on Mondays from 10-11:30 and use the remainder of their work hours for planning and continuing education. Teachers will have knowledge and experience in play-based learning, emergent curriculum, local flora, fauna, and climate, and have a love for nature and the outdoors in all weather.
Some Job Tasks and Responsibilities
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with children, parents,
• Maintain a safe learning environment and assure the wellbeing and safety of
the children in his/her care;
• Follow all guidelines in the teacher handbook;
• Exhibit a genuine nurturing and caring attitude to all the children;
• Be an active learner willing to continue their growth as a teacher;
• Be enthusiastic and prepared to explore the outdoors with children on a daily
• Be willing to follow the child in their interests rather than dictating their day;
• Willingness to get dirty, sit on the ground in exploration, and play;
• Be actively engaged in developing the emergent curriculum;
• Observe and document the children’s learning, behavior, and development;
• Address the individual needs of each child as they emerge;
• Work directly with the assistant teacher and model/guide them in connecting
• Complete other various tasks related to school enrollment, parent relations,
and business events.
Required Knowledge and Skills
• Candidates who will be considered should have 2 or more years of experience
working with children ages 4-7 in a child-centered, developmentally
appropriate program. Experience and/or familiarity with child-directed, play-
based, emergent curriculum preferred;
• Applicants who currently have or are in the process of obtaining MA, BA, AA or
CDA in Early Childhood Education or related degrees are encouraged to apply.
• Active interest in the natural world and a commitment to its use as a central
and daily learning and play environment;
• Aptitude/comfort with learning basic natural history/ecology;
• Able to speak clearly, positively, and effectively with both children and
• Strong written and verbal communication skills;
• Adult & Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED certification;
• Excellent health, able to lift up to 50 lbs. and move easily in an outdoor setting
in various weather conditions;
• Must pass a complete background check.
How to ApplyPlease send your resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
75 total views, 9 today