Environment Leadership Development Crew Member
Are you looking for a challenging and rewarding career in conservation? The Nevada Conservation Corps Leadership Development Program (LDP) is an opportunity for aspiring leaders to further leadership and technical skills through hands-on training and service. Spend a season with NCC as an AmeriCorps member living and working in the wild and scenic landscapes of Nevada. As an LDP participant you will camp for up to seven nights at a time, explore aspen covered mesas, sagebrush valleys, prehistoric oceans turned salt flats, the darkest, star filled skies in America, ancient volcanoes, massive sand dunes, and snow-capped granite peaks. Nevada’s abundant and diverse public lands provide incredible backdrops for both recreation and career development opportunities.
For the first three months, LDP members focus on individual and team growth with mentorship that prioritizes the development of skills meant to prepare you for the challenges of leading a crew. Some of the leadership training topics include problem solving, conflict resolution, communication, collaboration, team development, and effective decision-making. Conservation technical training includes hazardous fuels reduction, trails construction and maintenance, habitat restoration, and data collection. At NCC we believe skills are best acquired within the context of daily work challenges.
Upon successful completion of the leadership development training program you will be assigned summer projects (based out of Reno, NV; Las Vegas, NV; or Great Basin National Park) and will take on the responsibility of leading a crew. You will coordinate with federal, state, and non-profit partners to meet the conservation and resource management needs of our public lands. You will be expected to collaborate with peers to see that project goals are accomplished safely and efficiently. Based on your specific projects you will be camped in the field with your crew on either 4-day and/or 8-day “tours” in primitive and remote locations. With mentorship and training, crew leaders are expected to manage crews effectively and facilitate an inclusive, cohesive community.
Different than any other professional experiences, being a crew leader with the NCC is a full-time, intensive commitment. Preparing for projects and leading a crew requires unwavering dedication and a willingness to put the needs of others first. Successful applicants will demonstrate dependability, excellent judgment, and high standards. We are looking for individuals who will lead by example and be a role model for the members who join our program. Though this position is challenging, the rewards are abundant and the bonds forged with your crew, peers, and with the natural world will last a lifetime.
Technical Trainings and Certifications include:
Trail Maintenance and Construction
Dry Stone Masonry
USFS Felling and/or Bucking Certification
Fencing Construction and Maintenance
Habitat Restoration Methods
First Aid/CPR and Wilderness First Aid Certification
Leave No Trace Trainer Certification
Pesticide Applicators License (NV or CA)
Off Highway Vehicle Training
Compensation: Bi-weekly living stipend ~$680 every two weeks before taxes, with potential for an increased living stipend if promoted to lead or assistant lead
• Education Award: $4,441.50
• Per Diem: $7.25/day spent in the field. This is in addition to your Living Allowance and on average is $58.00 biweekly. Crews typically combine per diem funds and shop/prepare meals as a team.
• Housing Stipend: 50$/ bi-weekly
February 7th, 2022-November 22nd 2022
• Insurance – Limited Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance will be completely paid for at no cost to you by the Great Basin Institute.
• Student Loan Forbearance and Interest Accrual Repayment
• Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Eligibility
• Educational Affiliation Agreements (College Credit)
• Maintaining a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service
• Showing respect when interacting with other members, leaders, staff, project sponsors and community members
• Participating in in-field education sessions, presentations and crew meetings
• Participate in Service Day events outside of regular work schedule
• Clean driving record (must qualify to drive GBI Vehicles)
• Current driver’s license
• A willingness and desire to lead
• Experience working within a Conservation or Youth Corps
• Previous experience camping/backpacking in remote locations
• Previous experience constructing recreational trails
• Previous experience felling trees using chainsaw and/or crosscut
• Strong critical thinking skills and creativity
• Possessing the confidence and ability to make decisions quickly and under pressure
• Receptive to feedback from superiors, peers, and subordinates.
• Ability to establish and maintain a positive workplace culture and camp life experience.
• Ability to work for 10.5 hours a day and to contribute to post-work day tasks and chores
• Ability to hike up to 10 miles a day with heavy backpacks
• Ability to carry 25 pounds continuously and 50 pounds occasionally
• Ability to camp up to seven consecutive nights in primitive locations without access to running water and restrooms, all while in an all possible weather conditions. Assisting in food preparation, planning, and clean up
• Ability to effectively operate machinery and tools while following production and quality standards set by the Nevada Conservation Corps
Follow strict safety protocol and maintain personal safety of self and others
• Ability to commit to an entire term of service with AmeriCorps
• Be at least 17 years of age
• Be a U.S Citizen or Legal Resident Alien
• All position offers are conditional upon successful completion of an acceptable check of the National Sex Offender Public Registry and federal criminal background check. Any criminal convictions must be disclosed during the interview process
• Be eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (Limit of four unique terms in a lifetime or the equivalent of two full-time education awards)
Possess High school diploma or GED (or provide proof of intent to complete before using education award)
How to ApplyLearn more and apply: https://www.vscyberhosting.com/greatbasin/Careers.aspx?req=2021-NCC-041&type=JOBDESCR
130 total views, 1 today