Environment Naturalist and Environmental Educator
The Great Basin Institute at Galena is seeking a Naturalist/Environmental Educator for a 13-week program beginning May14, 2018 and ending August 10, 2018.
Our goal is to provide local youth with opportunities to experience the outdoors in a safe, fun, nurturing and engaging setting, and to provide academic, STEM education support for educators. This position is will serve as an AmeriCorps member with the Great Basin Institute and will work collaboratively with the US Forest Service and Washoe County Regional Parks & Open Space. The Galena Creek Recreation Area encompasses Washoe County and U.S. Forest Service lands and is located in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range, 17 miles from Lake Tahoe, Nevada.
We are fortunate to live and work at 6,400 ft elevation in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, a short distance from the incomparable Lake Tahoe. Six natural ecosystems are within a 20 minute drive: High desert, forest, still water, wetlands, mountains and rangeland.
• Assist with the Great Basin Institute at Galena’s Environmental Science Field Studies Program comprising theme-based activities that capitalize on the unique natural setting of Galena Creek Park and the Sierra Nevada region. Themes include natural and cultural history topics that allow children to experience the outdoors through discovery-based, STEM and environmental education.
• Assist in implementation of the Great Basin Institute at Galena’s Camps and School Residential Field Studies to ensure the success and safety of these programs. School Break Camps and Residential School Field Studies include hands-on games, hikes, guided activities, field trips, guest presenters, exploration and play. Staff and Students/campers stay in the beautiful WeChMe Lodge from Monday-Friday for five weeks of summer camp and varying length of times for residential school field studies.
Compensation and Benefits:
• This is an AmeriCorps position, and candidates will receive a stipend of $250 per week. Upon successful completion of the AmeriCorps service term, members shall receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award in the amount of $1,566.14 that can be used for paying off student loans, or paying tuition for a Title IV accredited college.
• Shared, on-site housing is available at no charge.
• Trainings provided include but are not limited to: First aid; and CPR course.
Timeline: May 14, 2018 through August 10, 2018
Additional Position Details:
• Deliver environmental education curriculum to students and youth both in the field and in the classroom.
• Assist in the development and enhancement of curriculum for day and residential outdoor education school field studies.
• Assist in assuring the safety of students and campers.
• Present clear, well-organized educational programs that exemplify professional delivery, thematic development, and cohesive structure that are consistently appropriate for the activity and the audience.
• Communicate effectively and develop relationships with participating teachers, parents and chaperones.
• Enforce school and camp policies, procedures and regulations.
• Recognize and respond effectively to emergencies.
• Summer Camp, June 11- August 4, includes five weeks of 24 hr/day, Monday-Friday residence at WeChMe Lodge. Residential School Field Studies occur as booked.
• On occasion, assist with staffing GCVC information desk, providing customer service, and assisting in daily upkeep of GCVC
• College level coursework in education or the natural sciences; Bachelor’s Degree preferred;
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
• Background working with K-12 children and/or in natural history;
• Campfire skills (song leading, guitar, storytelling) desirable;
• Enthusiasm and commitment to youth outdoor education;
• Ability to work in harsh and rapidly changing environments, work in all types of weather conditions, and otherwise maintain good physical condition.
• Meet AmeriCorps eligibility requirements:
1. U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status.
2. Must be at least 17 years of age.
3. Received a high school diploma or GED (or be willing to achieve this before using education award).
4. Eligible to receive and AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime or equivalent of 2 full-time awards), and
5. Pass state and federal criminal background checks.
How to ApplyHow to Apply: Qualified and interested applicants should follow the link below to apply online. http://crcareers.thegreatbasininstitute.org/careers/careers.aspx?rf=ADVENTUREJOB&req= 2018-GCVC-001 We conform to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit Retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.
482 total views, 3 today