Environment Naturalist Internship (10 months, 2018-2019)
Experiential education is not only for the students who visit Sierra Outdoor School. It is also for the Naturalist Interns who spend time here! You will grow under the guidance of our experienced permanent Naturalists and Program Coordinators while learning a variety of classes, activities, and skills. Over the ten-month internship, interns will teach science lessons, cultural history classes, facilitate low ropes and team building activities, as well as learn how to belay and facilitate high rope elements and a zip line. Interns receive training in all classes before they teach on their own.
Paid training is provided throughout the year in areas including: educational theory, classroom and group management, background in relevant sciences, local natural and cultural history, and job searching techniques.
Sierra Outdoor School also has an impressive Raptor Center. Interns will have the opportunity to learn non-releasable raptor management including feeding, handling, and teaching with the birds if this is an area of interest.
• College degree in the field of science, education, recreation, or related field.
• Previous experience working with children required. Grades 4th-6th preferred.
• Valid driver’s license, clear fingerprints & background check, and negative TB test.
• First aid & CPR required. WFA/WFR/Lifeguard Certification beneficial, but not required.
• Ability to hike up to five miles per day in all weather conditions.
• Self-motivated, positive, energetic, & passionate about teaching and the outdoors.
• Willingness to live on site, in shared housing, in a remote setting.
Location: Sierra Outdoor School is located in the Stanislaus National Forest at an elevation of 4100’ in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The nearest towns are Sonora, Columbia, and Twain Harte.
Salary/Benefits: $1,700/month. Private bedroom in shared house, meals (when school is in session), paid training, worker’s compensation, $150 towards a conference, one paid day to visit other environmental education programs, and pro-deals with select companies.
Intern Commitment: August 5, 2018- June 14, 2019
How to ApplyApplication process: Visit http://sos.cusd.com/staff/employment/naturalist-internship for more information. Questions? Contact Brandy Lively at firstname.lastname@example.org or 209-532-3691.
604 total views, 3 today