Environment Nevada Conservation Corps Crew Leader
Challenge yourself as a leader of a 5-person crew while conducting critical conservation work in some of the Southwest’s most beautiful areas. Serve from the mountains of Nevada to the vast landscapes of the Great Basin and Mohave Deserts. The NCC is looking for experienced Crew Leaders to tackle day-to-day responsibilities of crew life.
You will lead four AmeriCorps Crew Members while building trail, running chainsaws, or performing other restoration projects on public lands in some of Nevada’s most beautiful locales. You will coordinate with agency partners and collaborate with peers to see that project goals are accomplished safely and efficiently. Based on your specific project you will be camped in the field with your crew on either 4-day or 8-day “tours” often in primitive and remote locations, and will be responsible for facilitating a healthy and cohesive community within your crew.
Different than any other professional experience you could imagine, being a Crew Leader with the NCC is a full-time commitment where you will always be a resource to the members, both while on service project sites or back at camp after a long day. Preparing for and leading a crew requires unwavering dedication, and a willingness to put the needs of others first. The successful applicant will demonstrate dependability, excellent judgment, and high standards. We are looking for an individual who will lead by example and be a role model for the members who join our program. Though this position is challenging, the rewards are abundant; and the bonds forged with your peers, and with the outdoors will last a lifetime.
-Exemplify strong work ethic, professionalism, and sound judgment
-Lead young adults on a variety of challenging conservation projects
-Understand and abide by all NCC policies and procedures; ensure all safety protocols followed
-Maintain a positive and professional attitude at all times; be able to boost crew morale
-Effectively communicate with NCC staff, partnering agencies, peers, and crew members
-Coordinate project logistics with agency partners, Crew Coordinator, and peers
-Work alongside members to complete project goals
-Provide clear and consistent feedback to crew members
-Teach, instruct and support members in trail building, and other project/NCC specific tasks
-Engage members in an active crew life
-Facilitate weekly crew meetings and debriefs
-Transport crew and equipment safely in NCC trucks
-Manage and maintain crew gear, tools and other various NCC/agency equipment
-Complete weekly reporting of accomplishments
-Uphold NCC and AmeriCorps standards of work production and quality
-Support and manage crew meal planning
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Three or six month opportunities starting as needed. Terms are negotiable depending on availability.
Las Vegas, NV or Reno, NV
NOTE: We will not provide housing nor sign leases, but we can help assist with identifying housing options.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is an AmeriCorps position; candidates will receive a living stipend dependent on their length of service. The living stipend is a fixed amount, not an hourly wage or a salary. The stipend is paid to members in bi-weekly installments throughout their term of service. Upon completion of AmeriCorps service members shall receive an additional education award also dependent on the length of service that can be used for paying off student loans or paying tuition for a Title IV accredited college.
• 3-Month (450 hour) service term: $5,200 living stipend (approximately $780 every two weeks before taxes)
• 6-month (900 hour) service term: $10,400 living stipend (approximately $780 every two weeks before taxes)
Education Award amounts are dependent on the length of your term:
•3 month (450 hour) service term: $1,538.36
•6 month (900 hour) service term :$2,907.50
For every day you work in the field with us you will receive $7.25. This is in addition to your Living Allowance and on average is $58.00 biweekly. Crews typically combine per diem funds and shop/prepare meals as a team.
Affordable Care Act Compliant Health, Dental and Vision Insurance will be completely paid for at no cost to you by the Great Basin Institute and available starting your first day of service.
If you are currently paying on any federal student loans you have the option to put those loans into forbearance during your time as an AmeriCorps volunteer, that will allow you to cease payments while serving.
Interest Accrual Repayment:
As AmeriCorps alum, you are eligible to have the National Service Trust pay all or a portion of the interest that accumulated on your qualified student loan(s) during your term of service. These payments are made in addition to the Education Award, and are not deducted from your Education Award balance. To be eligible to have accrued interest paid: The loan must have been placed in forbearance for the service period, and you must have successfully completed a term of service and received an Education Award.
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Eligibility:
AmeriCorps Volunteers qualify for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). The Nevada Conservation Corps will provide you documentation in proving that you qualify for SNAP.
Educational Affiliation Agreements (College Credit):
The Nevada Conservation Corps will take part in Affiliation Agreements with your university in order to allow you to receive college credit hours for your term of service.
Skills & Education:
You will be certified in First Aid and CPR.
You will be certified in Leave No Trace.
Optional Training & Education may include:
• Defensive Driving Certification
• Off-Road Driving Class
• Resume Building Workshop
• Interview Skills Workshop
• Native Plant Identification
• Invasive Plant Identification
• GPS Unit Training
• Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
• Maintaining a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service
• Showing respect when interacting with other members, leaders, staff, project sponsors and community members
• Participating in in-field education sessions, presentations and crew meetings
• Participate in Service Day events outside of regular work schedule
• Clean driving record (must qualify to drive GBI Vehicles)
• Current driver’s license
• A willingness and desire to lead
• Experience working within a Conservation or Youth Corps
• Previous experience camping/backpacking in remote locations.
• Previous experience constructing recreational trails
• Previous experience felling trees using chainsaw and/or crosscut
• Strong critical thinking skills and creativity
• Possessing the confidence and ability to make decisions quickly and under pressure
• Receptive to feedback from superiors, peers, and subordinates.
• Ability to establish and maintain a positive workplace culture and camp life experience.
• Ability to work for 10.5 hours a day and to contribute to post-work day tasks and chores
• Ability to hike up to 10 miles a day with heavy backpacks
• Ability to carry 25 pounds continuously and 50 pounds occasionally
• Ability to camp up to seven consecutive nights in primitive locations without access to running water and restrooms, all while in an all possible weather conditions. Assisting in food preparation, planning, and clean up
• Ability to effectively operate machinery and tools while following production and quality standards set by the Nevada Conservation Corps
• Follow strict safety protocol and maintain personal safety of self and others
• Ability to commit to an entire term of service with AmeriCorps
• Be at least 17 years of age
• Be a U.S Citizen or Legal Resident Alien
• All position offers are conditional upon successful completion of an acceptable check of the National Sex Offender Public Registry and federal criminal background check. Any criminal convictions must be disclosed during the interview process
• Be eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (Limit of four unique terms in a lifetime or the equivalent of two full-time education awards)
• Possess High school diploma or GED (or provide proof of intent to complete before using education award)
How to ApplyPLEASE APPLY HERE: http://crcareers.thegreatbasininstitute.org/careers/Careers.aspx?rf=ADVENTUREJOBS&REQ=2017-NCC-029
159 total views, 2 today