Other Outdoor Outdoor Science Educator
Position Profile: Outdoor Science Instructor
Multiple positions located in Newport, OR; outside Fossil, OR; and outside Tillamook, OR
$71.50 – $82.50 per day plus room and board
Our Mission: Inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action.
The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI) is seeking multiple Outdoor Science Instructors to teach outdoor science education in the field from February through early November. A limited number of short season, February-May or February-June positions are also available.
OMSI, a non-profit museum in Portland, OR, is a center of excellence in science teaching and learning and a valued destination for the community. Founded in 1944, OMSI is ranked as one of the nation’s top ten science museums and a world-class tourist attraction and educational resource that reaches one million people each year. OMSI owns and operates two residential camps; the Coastal Discovery Center at Camp Gray in Newport, OR, and Hancock Field Station near Fossil, OR. Camp Gray and Hancock Field Station’s full season runs February-November, which includes spring outdoor school, summer camp, and fall outdoor school. Spring-only instructors work February-June during spring outdoor school. We also host spring outdoor school at Camp Meriwether near Tillamook, OR from February-May. We are proud to be the largest museum-based outdoor education program in the country. Each camp employs year-round managers, as well as a seasonal program coordinator, seasonal cooks, and a small seasonal educator team of about 6-10 individuals.
What you’ll do:
Outdoor Science Instructors are responsible for teaching concept-based, natural science curriculum, utilizing a mix of outdoor and classroom settings to students (K-12) and adults. The outdoor learning experience is like none other; this is an opportunity to be a part of a team that makes a tangible difference in the local and global community. You’ll be among some of the most dedicated, hard-working, and passionate outdoor professionals in the field. You’ll teach a variety of classes during spring and fall outdoor school as well as run themed summer science and adventure camps. This position generally requires employees to live on site, and room and board are provided. Due to the seasonal nature of the position, instructors average 10-12 hours per day, and are exempt from overtime wage regulations. The job is usually Monday–Friday, with occasional weekends throughout the program season.
What you’ll need:
• Experience working with youth in an educational setting.
• Working knowledge of the concepts in natural history and ecology.
• Combination of experience and education equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree.
• Oregon Food Handler Card, or ability to obtain (training available during non-work days at employee’s expense).
• Current Adult/Child CPR/AED.
• Wilderness First Responder certification, or ability to obtain (training available during non-work days at employee’s expense).
• Only full-season instructors at Camp Gray and Hancock Field Station: Valid driver license, with the ability to obtain a Class B Commercial Driver License (training available during non-work days at employee’s expense)
• Ability to work as part of a high-functioning team both during working and non-working hours.
• Ability to establish and maintain healthy relationships in a residential work environment.
• Pass pre-employment checks, such as criminal background check, reference checks, Motor Vehicle Records checks, drug tests, and American Camp Association (ACA) background checks.
• Room and Board
• Competitive health benefits
• Vacation, Personal Days, Sick Days, and Holiday pay! (Full Season employees only)
• Oregon Sick time (Spring Season employees only)
How to ApplyTo learn more about our outdoor science education program, visit https://omsi.edu/outdooredjobs. We invite all applicants interested in impacting the community and our future generations to apply to join our team. To learn more or apply visit https://omsi.applicantpool.com/jobs/386797.html. Positions close February 1, 2020. OMSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
151 total views, 6 today