Other Outdoor Part-Time Math Teacher
The Outdoor Academy is an accredited, residential, semester school for high achieving tenth-grade and select ninth- and eleventh-grade students. Rising from a long tradition of experiential education at Eagle’s Nest Foundation, a non-profit organization chartered in 1950, The Outdoor Academy incorporates a college preparatory curriculum with environmental education, wilderness leadership, unique arts offerings, and regional studies in a small community setting. Established in 1995, The Outdoor Academy enrolls up to 28 students from across the United States each semester to attend our school located in Pisgah Forest, North Carolina.
POSITION AVAILABLE: Part-Time Math Teacher (Starting January 2019)
ACADEMIC RESPONSIBILITIES: The part-time math teacher is responsible for teaching up to two preps of high school math courses (including but not limited to Algebra I and II, Geometry, Pre-Calculus, Trigonometry, Common Core Math I, II, and III) to Outdoor Academy students. Different levels will generally be taught in separate sections. Our Math curriculum is based on that of our sending schools. Since students attend The Outdoor Academy for only one semester, it is important for our Math teachers to be aware of material covered at our sending schools. Students who attend The Outdoor Academy represent a range of academic maturity, but are generally highly motivated and above the academic average. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Plan, develop, implement, and monitor a rigorous, experiential curriculum that meets the needs of individual students in each course each semester
• Maintain a working knowledge of current research and curriculum developments in the field, such as Common Core, and act as an academic liaison between OA, parents and sending schools
• Collaborate with other faculty and staff integrating math and its applications into outdoor programming and interdisciplinary lessons
• Mentor students in their academic growth
• Evaluate student performance
• Be available to work with students on mathematics assignments outside of class as needed
• Attend Parent meetings each semester to advise parents and students
• Attend faculty meetings as required by the Director
• Minimum of B.A. or B.S. in Math or other field with advanced math coursework
• Prior classroom teaching experience preferred
• Minimum of Basic First Aid and CPR
• Study abroad or semester school experience preferred
The ideal candidate would have full-time experience teaching high school math. They would have knowledge of course content in Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus topics including vectors, polar coordinates, probability, and statistics. The ideal candidate would demonstrate experience in accommodating, differentiating, and modifying curriculum to meet individual student needs within a class. Experience in curriculum development, experiential education, interdisciplinary collaboration, or implementation of new content standards will be highly valued. Additionally, this individual should have knowledge of research-based practices in mathematics including the implementation of Common Core and be able to identify learning problems in mathematics.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include equipment use and pro-deal opportunities. Specific benefits are outlined in the employment contract.
How to ApplyTO APPLY: Send resume, cover letter, and application form (available at http://www.enf.org/outdoor-academy/oa-employment/) as a single PDF to email@example.com. Andrea Haulk, Payroll and Human Resources Manager Eagle’s Nest Foundation and The Outdoor Academy 43 Hart Road Pisgah Forest, NC 28768 Email:firstname.lastname@example.org www.theoutdooracademy.org Eagle’s Nest Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disabling condition or sexual orientation.
242 total views, 2 today