Other Outdoor Part-Time Music and Dance Teacher
The Outdoor Academy (OA) is an accredited, residential, semester school for high achieving tenth-grade and select ninth- and eleventh-grade students. Rising from a long tradition of experiential education at Eagle’s Nest Foundation, a non-profit organization chartered in 1950, The Outdoor Academy incorporates a college preparatory curriculum with environmental education, wilderness leadership, unique arts offerings, and regional studies in a small community setting. Established in 1995, The Outdoor Academy enrolls up to 28 students from across the United States each semester to attend our school located in Pisgah Forest, North Carolina.
The Music and Dance Teacher is a part time position that is primarily responsible for teaching traditional arts and building a repertoire of folk music and dance of the Appalachian region for OA students, monitoring their progress throughout the semester, supporting their technical needs, and communicating learning outcomes to all stakeholders. The position reports to The Outdoor Academy Director.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The part-time Music and Dance Teacher will be teaching Music and Dance to Outdoor Academy students. Students who attend The Outdoor Academy represent a range of academic maturity, but are generally highly motivated and above the academic average. Music and dance instruction will include building a repertoire and exploring the history of Appalachian folk music and dance. The ideal candidate for this position will feel competent and flexible with singing and teaching multiple instruments, particularly guitar, mandolin, banjo and fiddle, and will be able to adapt to the specific curricular needs of the student. Responsibilities include:
1. Design and follow semester syllabi in Music and Dance
2. Mentor students in their academic growth
3. Evaluate student performance
4. Be available to work with students on Arts assignments outside of class as needed
5. Attend faculty meetings and development training as available
1. Minimum of B.A. in applicable discipline or related field, M.A. preferred
2. Prior teaching experience in Arts/Crafts/Music/Dance, preferred
3. Appalachian arts, music and dance experience, preferred
4. Experience working with young people in academic, experiential, outdoor, or residential settings preferred
5. Study abroad or semester school experience at secondary or collegiate level preferred
6. American Red Cross First Aid and CPR required
SCHEDULE EXPECTATIONS: The class typically meets on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and some Fridays in the mid-to late afternoons. The schedule can vary, so flexibility is needed.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Salary (Contract mid-August 2018 through mid-May 2019) with time off during Fall, Winter and Spring breaks.
How to ApplyTO APPLY: Send resume, cover letter, and application form (available at http://www.enf.org/outdoor-academy/oa-employment/) as a single PDF to email@example.com. Andrea Haulk, Payroll and Human Resources Manager Eagle’s Nest Foundation and The Outdoor Academy 43 Hart Road Pisgah Forest, NC 28768 Email:firstname.lastname@example.org www.theoutdooracademy.org Eagle’s Nest Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disabling condition or sexual orientation.
514 total views, 1 today