Other Outdoor Program Manager
Wild Whatcom is a flourishing non-profit organization dedicated to connecting youth to nature and developing positive character traits through outdoor exploration and discovery. We provide experiential
learning opportunities that inspire participants to build healthy relationships with nature, community, and self.
Wild Whatcom seeks a qualified candidate for Program Manager to join our organizational management team. The Program Manager brings Wild Whatcom’s mission to life by guiding a robust portfolio of outdoor programs (including our School Programs, Explorers Club, Summer Adventures, and Community
outings) and providing growth-minded leadership to a team of talented Program Coordinators. The candidate must be able to provide active supervision to Program Coordinators and field staff in a manner that is supportive, honors their skills and abilities, and builds staff capacity. The manager will be an integral part of the broader Wild Whatcom team and will participate in planning meetings, strategy
sessions, fundraising, outreach, communications, and other activities to help support our overall mission of fostering a lifelong connection with nature and community.
The Program Manager is a part-time position (0.6 FTE, approximately 24 hours/week) and will be paid $2,100-$2,400 per month, depending on experience ($42,000-$48,000 FTE), with the potential to increase hours over time. This position is year-round.
Start date: Monday, September 10, 2018 or sooner depending on availability.
● 3+ years experience in a multiple-program leadership role, preferably within the
environmental/outdoor education field.
● Supervisory experience in a collaborative environment.
● Experience expanding equity and inclusion to ensure broader program access diverse populations.
● A motivated self-starter with energy, flexibility, creativity, a sense of humor, and a willingness to pitch in wherever needed.
● Demonstrated ability to manage staff and volunteers with a highly collaborative approach.
● Ability to prioritize effectively and handle multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
● Strong organizational skills, including planning and program development.
● Superior interpersonal and written communications skills.
● Professional work habits (punctual, responsive, organized, attention to detail).
● Youth development or outdoor education experience.
● Excellent budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making, and reporting.
● Knowledge of fundraising strategies, grant writing, and donor development/relations specific to non-profit organizations is strongly preferred.
● Competency with Google systems, Microsoft Office Suite, and social media.
Program Manager Detailed Responsibilities
Staff Support and Management
● Guide Coordinators to ensure outstanding program quality and safety at all levels.
● Actively contribute to a healthy and productive organization culture.
● Sustain positive staff morale while supervising and supporting a team of Program
Coordinators (e.g. Explorers Club Coordinators, Neighborhood Nature Coordinator,
EdVentures/SEED Coordinator, Community Coordinator).
● Plan, co-design, and schedule professional development trainings for staff and be
available on a regular basis for guidance.
● Conduct regular staff evaluations and provide ongoing, constructive feedback in
partnership with the Operations team.
Program Development and Growth
● Work with the Executive Director to ensure all programs align with Wild Whatcom’s mission.
● Oversee, monitor, and enhance program quality, consistency, and efficiency with a thorough understanding and vision across all programs.
● Participate in research, planning, and development of new programs to diversify and increase reach of audiences served across all programs.
● Create, measure, and monitor program goals.
● Co-develop curricula based on program goals and research-based best practices.
● Develop, test, and implement program assessment and evaluation tools and
● Address emerging program issues and quality concerns, develop improvement plans, and implement solutions.
● Work with Risk Management team to communicate, implement, and monitor risk
management guidelines and policies to staff.
● Communicate with families and participants to assess impact, solicit feedback, and guide improvement.
● Nurture and build relationships with school districts and other community partners.
● For school programs, collaborate with district representatives, principals, teachers, counselors, and PTAs to build schedules, align goals, and ensure quality.
● Support fundraising efforts including grant-writing collaboration, grant-tracking and reporting requirements.
● Create and maintain budgets for all programs, in collaboration with Executive Director, and address any budgetary issues as they arise.
● Spend time in the field with all programs to stay current on implementation and
● Produce and distribute outreach materials, and participate in community outreach
● Work with Administrative Coordinator and Operations Team to maintain website, blog, and social media for schools programs.
How to ApplySubmit a cover letter, resume, short writing sample, and contact information for at least two references. Please direct all questions and application materials (emailed as .pdf files) to email@example.com, with your name and “Program Manager” in the subject line. Submit applications by Wednesday, August 22, 2018 for priority review. Position will remain open until filled. Before actual hire, prospective employees must pass a background check. If any concerns arise, we will review them with the candidate and evaluate potential implications within a broader context and relevance to the position. Wild Whatcom is actively committed to social equity and justice and encourages candidates of all racial and gender identities, cultural and economic backgrounds, and of any sexual orientation to apply. Wild Whatcom is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or marital status in employment or the provision of services.
553 total views, 1 today