Water Raft Guide
Description of Organization: ETC is a non-profit, volunteer based organization that provides outdoor adventure and environmental education experiences for people of all abilities. ETC conducts Sea Kayak, Whitewater Rafting, and Cross Country Skiing trips for youth and adults from under-resourced backgrounds and people with disabilities as well as extended Youth Leadership Programs for disadvantaged youth.
Position Title: River Program Live-In Guide
Position Description: The River Program Live-In Guide is responsible for guiding on one to three day whitewater rafting trips on a class III river for people with disabilities and underserved youth. The Live-In Guide will work within a team of Guides to facilitate all aspects of the trip experience, including trip preparation, on-river guiding, facilitation of activities focusing on team buildings, environmental education, and rafting instruction, and trip close out. Live-In Guides will receive training specifically focusing on guiding boats for participants with disabilities and Trip Leading and will be asked to step into these roles during the summer. This is a residential position at the ETC River Camp in Lotus, California.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Act as a Guide on one to three day whitewater rafting trips for diverse groups of participants
• Guide rafts in class III whitewater
• Facilitate activities focusing on group development, whitewater rafting instruction, environmental education, and human and natural history
• Support trip logistics including food purchasing, food preparation, and equipment preparation and maintenance
• Care and maintenance of the ETC River Camp through weekly chores and other assigned tasks
• Drive company vehicles and comply with Environmental Traveling Companions Driver’s Policies
• Participate in training opportunities focusing on skills development for guiding participants with disabilities and Trip Leading
• Other duties as assigned
• Enthusiasm for sharing the outdoors with people of all abilities and backgrounds
• At least 1 season guiding rafts on Class III rivers
• Experience guiding paddle rafts required, experience guiding oar rafts preferred
• Swiftwater rescue training strongly preferred
• Experience operating large vehicles and pulling trailers preferred
Current CPR and First Aid certifications, WFA, WFR or WEMT preferred
• Start Date: June 1, 2018
• End Date: August 31, 2018
• Possibility for per diem employment in September
Commitment: 22 or 23 days per month, with 8 days off scheduled no later than the first day of the month
Reports To: River Program Manager
• Competitive monthly salary, depends on experience
• Tent platform living space and partial board
Criminal Background Check: Employment with ETC is contingent upon a criminal background check
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Employment with ETC is contingent upon a motor vehicle record check
Work & Living Location: River Program staff live on covered, open-air platforms at the ETC River Camp in Lotus, California
Application Closing Date: May 31, 2018
To Apply: Submit cover letter and resume with three references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “River Live-In Guide”.
How to ApplyApplication Closing Date: May 31, 2018 To Apply: Submit cover letter and resume with three references via email to email@example.com with the subject “River Live-In Guide”.
285 total views, 1 today