Other Outdoor Residential Wilderness Educator
Eagle’s Nest Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to experiential education for young people promoting the natural world and the betterment of human character. Eagle’s Nest sponsors three programs: Eagle’s Nest Camp, a co-ed summer camp for children ages 6-17, Hante Adventures, an off-site adventure program for older campers, and The Outdoor Academy, a semester school for high-performing 10th grade students from across the country. The Outdoor Academy incorporates a college preparatory curriculum with environmental education, wilderness leadership, unique arts offerings, and regional studies in a small community setting. Up to 28 students from public and private schools attend our school in the mountains of North Carolina for one semester of their 10th grade year.
POSITION AVAILABLE: Resident Wilderness Educator
CONTRACT DATES: August 11, 2018 – May 17, 2019 with holiday breaks at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring Break.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Residents live with students in a dorm or cabin. As mentors they foster a safe, healthy, and responsible living environment and cultivate students’ intellectual and community life. Residents also:
● Co-lead wilderness trips including rock climbing, white-water canoeing, and backpacking
● Coordinate weekend activities
● Facilitate morning and weekend meal preparation
● Lead classes, on campus and in the field, in wilderness skills, leadership, and ethics
● A commitment to transformative outdoor experiential education
● BS or BA degree
● Experience with teenagers in an outdoor setting
● Significant background/skills in climbing, white-water canoeing, or backpacking
● Current Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness EMT or proof of enrollment in a WFR/WEMT course that will be completed by the contract dates above
● Semester school or study-abroad experience at secondary or collegiate level desirable
● Experience with teenagers in a residential setting preferred
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Salary, contributory health insurance plan, on-campus room and board, professional development as an outdoor instructor and classroom teacher, holiday and other vacation periods, equipment use and pro-deals on gear, outdoor leadership training and adventure days, weekly time off.
How to ApplyTO APPLY: Send resume, cover letter, and completed application (found at http://www.enf.org/outdoor-academy/oa-employment/) as a single PDF to email@example.com.
403 total views, 1 today