Environment Restoration Crew Member (Northern Nevada)
The Service Experience:
Spend a season or more working and camping outside at some of Nevada’s premier natural areas. Serve alongside volunteers from across the country while making a lasting contribution to Nevada’s natural resources and heritage. Gain valuable field experience while working on habitat improvement, restoration, and recreation projects with the U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service, and many other federal and state agencies. Learn firsthand from federal employees and specialists about natural resources and conservation careers. Projects during the spring field season will focus on arid land restoration around Southern Nevada and may include invasive plant removal, riparian restoration, and native species planting. Find more information on projects here!
• Camping up to seven nights in wilderness setting without formal restroom facilities or running water;
• Maintaining a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service;
• Communicating effectively with crew members, crew leaders, NCC staff and agency project staff;
• Complying with both production and quality work standards established by NCC
administration, crew supervisors and project partners;
• Contributing to basic duties at the campsite including cooking, cleaning and organizing crew equipment;
• Showing respect when interacting with other members, leaders, staff, project sponsors and community members;
• Participating in in-field education sessions;
• Percentage of time spent on: labor– 70%, traveling– 20%, hiking– 10%;
• Lifting 25lbs continuously and 50lbs occasionally.
• This is a 5 month (675 hour) Americorps term from April 1, 2019 – August 16, 2019.
• Dates can be flexible so don’t hesitate to contact us!
Compensation and Benefits:
• This an Americorps position in which you receive an living allowance. Upon successful completion you will receive an Education Award.
• 5 month (675 hour) AmeriCorps service term: $6,850 living stipend (approximately $650 every two weeks before taxes)
• Education Award: 5 month (675 hour) AmeriCorps service term: $2,255.24
• Per Diem: $7.25/day in the field; average is $58.00 biweekly
• First aid/CPR certification
• Depending on assigned project you may receive trail, chainsaw, or restoration training
Optional Training & Education we will provide include:
• Defensive Driving Certification
• Off-Road Driving Class
• Resume Building Workshop
• Interview Skills Workshop
• Native Plant Identification
• Invasive Plant Identification
• GPS Unit Training
• Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
• Loan Forbearance
• Interest Accrual Repayment
• Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Eligibility
• Educational Affiliation Agreements (College Credit)
•Must maintain a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service.
•Be able to communicate effectively with members, crew leaders, NCC staff, and project partners.
•Possess the willingness and ability to work and camp up to seven nights in a row, in a wilderness setting, in all weather conditions, without formal restroom facilities or running water.
•Be able to lift 25lbs continuously and 50lbs occasionally
•Be at least 17 years of age
•Be a US citizen
•Must possess a high school diploma or GED
•Must be eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime or the equivalent of two full-time education awards).*
•All position offers are conditional upon completion of an acceptable check of the National Sex Offender Public Registry and federal criminal background check.
How to ApplyTo apply, please submit an application along with a cover letter and resume to http://crcareers.thegreatbasininstitute.org/careers/Careers.aspx?rf=ADVENTUREJOBS&REQ=2018-NCC-028 For questions, please contact Sarah Mendoza at email@example.com
123 total views, 3 today