Water Sea Kayak Guide
Company background: San Juan Kayak Expeditions is the original sea kayaking company in the San Juan Islands and is a small family owned and operated business. Its founder, Tim Thomsen, guided 3 and 4 day trips in the San Juan Islands for over 33 years. Those hired by SJKE will have the unique opportunity to work under Tim’s tutelage. We employ 5-6 guides each season (May – early October)
We have a reputation for providing top quality equipment, a high level of instruction, impeccable safety while conducting fun and educational kayak tours, rentals and expeditions.
Qualifications: Guides will be outgoing, enjoy entertaining and educating a diverse audience, confident and skilled in a leadership role, and have a passion for nature and natural history and a love for kayaking. All will be mature, professional, punctual, well-groomed and possess a proven strong work ethic. Strong communication and public speaking skills and excellent interpersonal skills are essential. Experience in multi-day camping trips preferred.
• Must be willing to work long hours outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
• Be physically fit, and able to lift 50+ lbs to load and carry kayaks in uneven terrains.
• Ability to make sound decisions quickly and work calmly in tense or chaotic situations.
• ACA or BCU certified or repeated demonstration of bracing, rolling and rescue techniques.
• First Aid and CPR Certification/Wilderness First Responder preferred
• 21 years or older
• Clean Driving Record
• Possess a cell phone with texting capabilities
• Internet and email access
• Practice Leave No Trace Ethics
• Gather and pack gear and supplies for assigned trips; including loading kayaks on trailer and vans.
• Confirm the day’s tour schedule and tour float plans; make adjustments based on water and weather conditions and ability of guests.
• Safely drive guests in company van with attached kayak trailer.
• Provide safety orientation and paddling instruction for guests
• Help customers get fitted in their kayaks and get into and out of the water.
• Awareness of hazards and close observation of each guest’s abilities and needs and provide assistance as necessary for a successful trip.
• Provide an educational and fun experience through delivery of informative narrative, good storytelling and appropriate conversation (adjust to suit each guest’s individual communication style). Pointing out wildlife and educating participants about wildlife habits and ecology
• Being able to control groups of varying abilities and ages.
• Following all KELP guidelines, SJKE policies and those of the public lands.
• Multi-day trips set up and prepare meals with guests participating. Wake up guests playing gentle music with recorder, flute or like instrument. Demonstrate tent set up and assist as necessary. Demonstrate sailing set up.
• Knowing the tour routes (this will require some personal time to learn)
• Handling emergency situations if they arise
• Cleaning out kayaks and van after tours
• Basic maintenance on PFDs, trailer, etc
• Providing top notch customer service at all times.
• Other duties as assigned.
BENEFITS: Pay is DOE; ranging from $12-$18 an hour, plus tips. Guides dedicated to exceptional customer service can earn substantial income from guest gratuities. Additional benefits include free kayaking on your days off (space permitting), along with friends and family discounts. Annual bonus paid to returning guides.
How to ApplySend a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
56 total views, 5 today