Other Outdoor Seasonal (9-Month) Lead Camp Counselor: Wake
* Work is belly laughing, creek stomping, fort building, and woods wandering.
* Work is being outdoors every day.
* Work your best life: get paid to mentor, get paid to nurture, get paid to play.
Schoolhouse of Wonder runs a year-round program of field trips and nature-based day camps in three counties. In our Wake location, we run a 9-month camp season to align with Wake County’s year-round school calendars (called Track Out). Our spring and fall seasons are filled with day camps exploring our three Wake locations and opportunities for staff development (child development, bow drill fire making, edible plant identification, and much more!). Our summer season brings in a whirlwind of camps – romping in the forest, exploring the creek, building forts, and more. During camp, the Lead Counselor position is responsible for leading a camp group of children, mentoring and providing feedback for counselors and CITs, communicating with Schoolhouse staff and camp parents, modeling Schoolhouse values, and ensuring the physical and emotional safety of participants.
A Schoolhouse of Wonder Lead Counselor takes pride and joy in mentoring children through outdoor adventures, games, stories, and songs. These individuals can partner energy with patience and responsibility with fun. A Lead Counselor is a mentor worth remembering and emulating.
This seasonal (9-month) position begins March 1st and runs through the end of November with positions in Wake County.
General Responsibilities include but are not limited to :
• Safeguarding the physical, emotional, and intellectual safety of campers and students – model Schoolhouse values, ensure a positive experience, deliver consistent and exceptional supervision of children, patiently process conflict and disagreements
• Participation – actively participate in all aspects of programs in accordance with Schoolhouse methodologies including the active engagement of participants as a good example and role model at all times – play the games, sing the songs, swim in the river, hide in the leaves, and build forts
• Communication – establish trusted lines of communication with participants, their families, teachers, chaperones, and other Schoolhouse staff
• Program preparation and upkeep – participate in training and staff meetings, prepare materials, set up and breakdown program materials, and clean and maintain program spaces
• Serving as a resource, as needed, to other Schoolhouse staff (e.g. area of special knowledge or interest).
• Participating in marketing/promotional strategies and Schoolhouse events as requested
• Working with your supervisor to design and implement a professional development plan, including continuing education and familiarity with best practices
Camp Responsibilities include but are not limited to :
• Serving as Camp Lead in Summer and Track Out Camps including leading games, telling stories, behavior management, staff and CIT mentorship, time management, and creating a culture of physical and emotional safety
• Activity creation and delivery– partner with the Wake Site Manager and staff to create and implement high-quality, exciting, nature-based activities, themes, and schedules for camps
• Setting an excellent example of teaching and behavior management methods, work ethic, and attitude
• Communicating effectively with participants, CITs, staff, and parents
• Serving as a mentoring resource to staff including giving and receiving feedback
• Overseeing and mentoring Junior Counselors and Counselors-in-Training that are in your group
Please Apply If You…
• are a high school graduate or equivalent, and are at least 18 years of age
• are kind, curious, and confident with a “can-do” attitude
• have exceptional mentoring skills, including effective communication, responsiveness, enthusiasm, resourcefulness, sense of humor, and patience
• have superior verbal, interpersonal, and listening communication skills
• have experience working with children and want to mentor them to find and be their best selves
• have a passion for the outdoors and a desire to share that love with others
• are able and willing to accept and effectively act on feedback and guidance
• desire a cooperative, team-oriented work atmosphere
• are committed to Schoolhouse’s mission and values
• take your work seriously but yourself, not so much
Bonus points (or at least a high-five) if you have…
• A college degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience in a relevant field (e.g. biology, ecology, environmental science, natural resource management, outdoor education)
• Summer camp experience
• Teaching experience
• A strong interest in/knowledge of plants, animals, geology, ecology, and/or cultural history
• Knowledge of experiential and inquiry-based learning techniques
• Additional skill-based training or certifications (Lifeguarding, EMT, etc.)
• Bilingual fluency
A formal review conducted by the supervisor to establish and assess progress toward employee goals. Ongoing feedback provided through regular supervision and work plan development/review sessions.
Office Location, Hours, Travel
• The Schoolhouse of Wonder office is currently located at 2634 Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd, Suite 220, Durham, NC 27707.
• Wake County Track Out and Summer camps are located at Umstead State Park, I-40 Reedy Creek Entrance, 1800 N. Harrison Ave, Cary, NC 27513 and Harris Lake County Park, 2112 County Park Dr, New Hill, NC 27562.
• The work of the Wake County Lead Counselor is typically performed at Umstead State Park and Harris Lake County Park. Travel to off-site locations is occasionally required.
Hours are dependent on organizational needs, vary by season, typically total between 32 hours and 50 hours per week, and range from 7:30a – 6p Monday through Friday. Occasional weekends and/or evenings may be required.
The wage range for this position is $11.00-$12.50 per hour. Standard benefits for seasonal (9-month), non-exempt employees include the following:
• Paid Holidays: Seasonal employees are allotted up to five paid holidays per year
• Staff Development: Seasonal employees are allotted $250 for professional development opportunities
This is a full-time, non-exempt, “at will” position that reports directly to the Regional Program Manager (Durham), Orange County Site Manager (Orange), or the Wake County Site Manager (Wake).
Qualified women, minorities, and bilingual candidates (English/Spanish speakers) are encouraged to apply. Schoolhouse of Wonder is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, disability, national or ethnic origin, or sexual orientation.
Founded in 1989, Schoolhouse of Wonder’s mission is to create kind, curious, and confident kids through nature-based outdoor adventures. We seek to achieve this mission through year-round, outdoor day camps, curriculum-aligned field trips, and leadership training for teenagers.
These core values guide our behavior and help us make decisions.
* We model and teach self-awareness and empathy
* We celebrate individuality; Different is just different
* Everyone deserves to be witnessed, heard and respected
* In nature, we’re all students
* Life should be filled with adventures and a sense of wonder
* We send every kid home dirty, tired and happy
Revenues : Approximately $1,000,000
How to ApplyThe Lead Camp Counselor application closes at noon on February 18, 2019. Only complete applications will be reviewed. To apply, first complete the 2019 Spring Applicant Info Form on our website. Also, please email the following to Schoolhouse of Wonder at firstname.lastname@example.org: • A cover letter that explains your interest in working as a Wake Lead Camp Counselor at Schoolhouse of Wonder (maximum one page) • Your resume (maximum one page) Please include your cover letter and resume as one document. Current certification in CPR and First Aid and successful background check required before work can begin. References will be required as applicants move forward in the hiring process. Schoolhouse will pursue both indicated and non-indicated references.
812 total views, 1 today