Environment Visitor Center Host/Naturalist
The Visitor Center Host/Naturalist will serve as a primary contact with the public through several avenues including, but not limited to the phone, in-person, email, and special events outreach. The Naturalist/Host will communicate information regarding the Galena Creek Recreation Area’s: educational programs, geographic features, recreation sites and opportunities, trails and hiking, and local regulations to visitors. Weekly schedules will include weekend days. The host may be required to assist with outdoor, discovery- based education through school field studies and summer camp for children ages 8-17.
The Galena Creek recreation area includes Washoe County and U.S. Forest Service lands, and is located in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. High desert, forest, river, wetland, mountain, and rangeland are all ecosystems you will find within our 450-acre regional park. The Great Basin Institute serves as the interpretive association operating the Galena Creek Visitor Center on a day-to-day basis. The Visitor Center is a resource for people throughout the Reno/Tahoe community, as well as a stop for tourists coming from around the world.
Compensation and Benefits:
• Shared, on-site housing is available at no charge.
• Limited health, dental and vision insurance premiums will be completely paid for at no cost to you by the Great Basin Institute and available starting your first day.
• Trainings and mentoring provided include but are not limited to: First aid and CPR certification.
Timeline: 28-week position beginning April 20 and extending through November 1st
Additional Position Details:
• Assist in providing interpretive services and information to members of the local community and out-of-area visitors;
• Assist with coordination, preparation and presentation of outdoor, discovery- based education for adults and children;
• Schedule, coordinate, and (as needed) lead community, informational hikes;
• Interact positively with the public and provide information about the surrounding area;
• Maintain social medial and website upkeep;
• Maintain visitor center email;
• Maintain and process visitor center gift store sales
• Assist with daily center upkeep including organization and cleaning;
• Assist with registering and disseminating information about the Great Basin Naturalists spring, summer, and fall break camps;
• Lead monthly toddler programs;
• Schedule organizations, businesses, and non-profits for educational, weekly lectures;
• Develop new interpretive exhibits for the center;
• Assist with the planning, coordination, and implementation of day and residential field studies;
• May be opportunities to plan special events for the community including park clean-ups, earth day events, community fundraisers, etc.
• Serve as a liaison between the visitor center and our volunteer base. Assist in leading volunteer meetings;
• Consider opportunities for education and outreach within the community, create and implement said opportunities as approved and directed by supervisor;
• May be required to assist with field study programs lasting anywhere from 3 to 10 hours;
• Keep accurate data on program attendance and donations.
• Experience in environmental education or outreach;
• Coursework or bachelor’s degree in outreach, recreation, education, the natural sciences, or a similar field;
• Knowledge of biology, ecology and/or conservation is highly desirable;
• Motivated, self-starter who is detail-oriented, self-sufficient, and organized;
• Comfortable working a varied schedule, with occasional days exceeding 8-hrs;
• Impressive public speaking/communication skills;
• Flexibility to handle competing and changing priorities;
• Positive, friendly attitude are desired traits;
• Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse public in a variety of forums;
• Ability to speak English conversationally; conversational ability in Spanish desirable but not required.
How to ApplyPlease apply on the Great Basin Institute website at the following link: http://crcareers.thegreatbasininstitute.org/careersmobile/careers.aspx?rf=PD&req=2019-GCVC-006
105 total views, 12 today