Environment Visitor Center Host/Naturalist
The Visitor Center Host/Naturalist will serve as a primary contact with the public through several venues including over the phone, in-person, and through special events outreach. The Galena Creek Recreation Area encompasses Washoe County and U.S. Forest Service lands and is located in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range, 17 miles from Lake Tahoe, Nevada.
The Naturalist/Host will communicate information regarding the Galena Creek Recreation Area’s and Lake Tahoe’s geographic features, recreation sites, hiking and recreation opportunities, and local regulations to visitors. Weekly schedules will include weekend days.
We are fortunate to live and work at 6,400 ft. elevation in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, a short distance from the incomparable Lake Tahoe. Six natural ecosystems are within a 20 minute drive: High desert, forest, still water, wetlands, mountains and rangeland. You will see wild horses and coyotes and may see bears.
The Naturalist will have the opportunity to assist with outdoor, discovery- based education through school field studies and summer camps for children ages 8-17.
The Naturalist/Host will:
• Maintain the Galena Creek Visitor Center and GBI-furnished equipment in proper working order including, but not limited to 4×4 vehicle(s), GPS unit(s), field map(s) and compass, computer(s), field tools, etc.;
• Work with agency partnership to accomplish their goals and objectives in land management, research, education, and community service;
• Be prepared for field excursions and service projects when required;
• Complete all necessary documentation, including reflections, surveys, evaluations, time sheets, etc.;
• Participate in GBI and Galena Creek Visitor Center training opportunities.
Compensation and Benefits:
• This is a volunteer/Internship position, and candidates will receive a stipend of $200 per week.
• Shared, on-site housing is available at no charge for Counselors over the age of 18.
• Trainings and mentoring provided include but are not limited to: First aid and CPR course.
Timeline: April 1 – November 30, 2018
Additional Position Details:
• Assist in providing interpretive services to members of the local community and out-of-area visitors.
• Assist with coordination, preparation and presentation of outdoor, discovery- based education for adults and children;
• Lead community, informational hikes;
• Interact positively with the public and provide information about the surrounding area;
• Assist with social medial and website upkeep;
• Assist with daily center upkeep.
• Experience interacting with all ages in an educational setting is desirable;
• Knowledge of biology, ecology and/or conservation is highly desirable;
• Motivated, self-starter who is detail oriented;
• Flexibility to handle competing and changing priorities;
• Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse public in a variety of forums;
• Ability to speak English conversationally; conversational ability in Spanish desirable but not required;
• Pass National Sex Offender Public Registry and federal criminal background checks.
We conform to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit Retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.
How to ApplyQualified and interested applicants should use the link below to apply online. http://crcareers.thegreatbasininstitute.org/careers/Careers.aspx?rf=ADVENTUREJOBS&REQ=2017-GCVC-007
313 total views, 2 today