Environment Visitor Center Naturalist/Host
The Visitor Center Naturalist/Host will serve as a primary contact with the public through several venues including over the phone, in-person, and through special events outreach. The Galena Creek Recreation Area encompasses Washoe County and U.S. Forest Service lands and is located in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range, 17 miles from Lake Tahoe, Nevada.
The Naturalist/Host will communicate information regarding the Galena Creek Recreation Area’s and Lake Tahoe’s geographic features, recreation sites, hiking and recreation opportunities, and local regulations to visitors. Weekly schedules will include weekend days.
The Naturalist will have the opportunity to assist with Environmental Education through school field studies and fall camp for children ages 8-17.
As a member of GBI’s AmeriCorps Education Award Program, the Naturalist/Host will:
• Assist with the Great Basin Institute at Galena’s Environmental Science Field Studies Program comprising theme-based activities that capitalize on the unique natural setting of Galena Creek Park and the Sierra Nevada region. Themes include natural and cultural history topics that allow children to experience the outdoors through discovery-based, STEM and environmental education.
• Assist in implementation of the Great Basin Institute at Galena’s Fall Break Camp and School Residential Field Studies to ensure the success and safety of these programs. Staff and Students/campers stay in the beautiful WeChMe Lodge for varying length of times for residential school field studies.
• Maintain the Galena Creek Visitor Center and GBI-furnished equipment in proper working order including, but not limited to 4×4 vehicle(s), GPS unit(s), field map(s) and compass, computer(s), field tools, etc.;
• Work with agency partnership to accomplish their goals and objectives in land management, research, education, and community service;
• Complete all necessary documentation for AmeriCorps Education Award, including reflections, surveys, evaluations, time sheets, etc.;
• Participate in GBI and Galena Creek Visitor Center training opportunities.
Compensation and Benefits:
• This is an AmeriCorps position, and candidates will receive a stipend of $5,000. Upon successful completion of the AmeriCorps service term, members shall receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award in the amount of $2,199.92 that can be used for paying off student loans, or paying tuition for a Title IV accredited college.
• Shared, on-site housing is available at no charge.
• Trainings provided include but are not limited to: First aid and CPR course.
Timeline: There is some flexibility in the range of dates, but requested dates are September 3, 2017 through January 20, 2018.
Additional Position Details:
• Assist in providing interpretive services to members of the local community and out-of-area visitors.
• Assist with coordination, preparation and presentation of environmental programming for adults and children, including overnight field studies on-site;
• Lead community, informational hikes;
• Interact positively with the public and provide information about the surrounding area;
• Assist with daily center upkeep.
• Experience interacting with all ages in an educational setting is desirable;
• Knowledge of biology, ecology and/or conservation is highly desirable;
• Motivated, self-starter who is detail oriented;
• Flexibility to handle competing and changing priorities;
• Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse public in a variety of forums;
• Ability to speak English conversationally; conversational ability in Spanish desirable but not required;
• Meet AmeriCorps eligibility requirements: (1) U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status, (2) eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime, or equivalent of two full-time terms of service), and 93) pass National Sex Offender Public Registry (NSOPR) and federal criminal background checks.
How to ApplyQualified and interested applicants should apply online by following the link below. http://crcareers.thegreatbasininstitute.org/careers/Careers.aspx?rf=ADVENTUREJOBS&REQ=2017-GCVC-004
588 total views, 1 today