Trek & Backpack Wilderness Instructor (BOLD/GOLD) – Forsyth YMCA – TEN350
The YMCA of Metro Atlanta serves more than 300,000 individuals with 23 full facilities and ten additional camping and childcare locations. The Y provides financial assistance to support more than 25,000 youth, teens and families. The Y offers programs that serve kids, adults and families at all stages of life. As the largest provider of early learning and after-school programs in Georgia, the Y is closing the achievement gap for Atlanta youth. During the teen years, the Y focuses on leadership development to prepare teens to connect to and serve their communities. A leader in healthy living, the Y offers youth sports and wellness programs designed to help kids and adults live healthier and be more active. A strong community can only be achieved when we invest in our kids, our health and our neighbors. We believe that to bring about meaningful change in individuals and communities, we must be focused and accountable. At the Y, we measure the success of our cause by how well we engage communities in our three areas of focus:
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT – Nurturing the potential of every child and teen.
HEALTHY LIVING – Improving the nation’s health and well-being.
SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY – Giving back and providing support to our neighbors.
BOLD & GOLD Program
Atlanta, Georgia USA
The BOLD (Boys Outdoor Leadership Development) & GOLD (Girls Outdoor Leadership Development) Program is dedicated to inspiring courage and confidence in diverse groups of adolescent girls and boys through outdoor adventures. We run both single gender and co-ed expeditions engaging ~50 youth on 4-5 different week-long backcountry trips in the Nantahala and Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests. Activities include backpacking, rock climbing, mountaineering, fishing, rafting, music, literature, backcountry cooking and goofing off. Our goal is to increase confidence, courage, emotional intelligence, wonder, and community awareness in participants.
We believe these traits are the foundations of leadership and work to inspire participants to develop their own leadership style. We prepare young people, from middle school on, to be the next generation of leaders through multicultural experiential education in the natural world. Find out more at https://yboldgold.org/.
We are currently hiring Wilderness Instructors for this coming spring and summer and programs are based out of Atlanta, GA.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
• Facilitate the learning of outdoor skills during our week-long wilderness-based backpacking, rock climbing or mountaineering courses.
• Ensure both a physically and an emotionally safe environment.
• Create values-forming experiences for adolescents.
• Create an inclusive environment for youth in the outdoors.
Critical Success Factors:
• Professional instructional experience in backpacking, rock climbing, and/or mountaineering
• Commitment to working with diverse groups
• Excellent judgment and decision making skills
• Strong group facilitation, communication, and conflict resolution skills
• Experience facilitating activities addressing issues facing adolescent females and/or males
• Experience making the transference of a wilderness experience relevant to the everyday lives of underserved youth
• Knowing how to have fun!
• Current W-EMT, WFR, or WFA (Assistant Instructors only) and CPR
• Clear criminal background check; safe driving record
• Instructors must be available for training in March
• 21 years of age by time of employment
Dates of Employment:
Spring programs operate in the beginning of April and summer programs operate in June and July. Instructors are contracted on a course-by-course basis including paid time for planning and debriefing. Opportunities exist for additional work based on interest and availability in beginning of May and continuing into late July. Must be available evenings and weekends. Full summer commitment is preferred, however instructors do not have to be available for all dates.
Salary negotiable and based on experience. Benefits with full summer commitment include a Y membership, access to pro-deals, and professional development opportunities.
It’s fun to work in an organization where people truly BELIEVE in what they are
We’re committed to bringing passion and people together to champion
communities where everyone belongs.
Forsyth County Family YMCA
How to Applyhttps://ymcaatlanta.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/YMCA-Careers/job/Cumming-GA/Wilderness-Instructor--BOLD-GOLD----Forsyth-YMCA---TEN350_R0002674 Visit this website to apply!
298 total views, 2 today