Environment Associate Director — Outdoor Education
The National Center for Outdoor & Adventure Education (NCOAE) has an opening for an Associate Director of Outdoor Education in its Wilmington, North Carolina, headquarters.
NCOAE is an organization that designs and delivers handcrafted outdoor, and adventure based educational experiences promoting personal growth, professional development, and stewardship in our communities and the natural environment.
The Associate Director of Outdoor Education is a highly motivated, individual who supports the Director of Outdoor Education in supervising and evaluating field staff/instructors as well as managing course sites and overseeing logistical details. They will also embody and promote our core values of challenge by choice, collaboration, compassion, innovation, proactiveness, and resiliency. Overnight travel is required.
The Associate Director of Outdoor Education will be responsible for:
• Overseeing assigned courses and custom programs throughout the planning, implementation, field operations, wrap-up, and evaluation phases
• Managing gear and food pack systems inventory, cleaning, and repair
• Training assigned staff on equipment, food, and transportation procedures
• Coordinating pre- and post-trip pack in and out activities, including transportation of gear, field staff, and/or participants to and from course areas
• Responding to field emergencies, including providing emergency transportation, supply delivery, or field supervision when requested
• Leading post-trip debriefs, including gear de-issuing
• Coordinating routine vehicle maintenance, including weekly checks, oil changes, tire rotations, and safety inspections
• Preparing and submitting a variety of paperwork, including vehicle logs, inventories, and other reports as requested
• Assuming instructor role and responsibilities for assigned courses, programs, and/or trainings
• Participating in mandatory staff trainings and meetings
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Most importantly, this person must be a solid team member who can facilitate positive and productive work experiences, and can contribute to maintaining safe, fun, and engaging client experiences.
WE OFFER –
● Access to the knowledge and relationships that we have developed over our 13+ years in the outdoor and adventure education business
● Competitive pay based on experience and recognition for work that exceeds expectations
● Medical Insurance
● Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
● Beautiful setting to work, meet and collaborate
● Ability to bring well trained dogs to work
● Perks like beach parties, themed celebrations, community give-back events, and more!
WE REQUIRE –
● High School diploma
● Experience with wilderness programs, outdoor education, or residential summer camps.
● Passion for outdoor and experiential education and adventure-based programming.
● Minimum of two years prior experience working in a logistical or support staff position
● Strong team-centered orientation
● Is committed to NCOAE’s educational framework, programs, curriculum, and philosophies, mission, and values
● Respects the need to default to written procedures and knows how to ask for help
● Consistently strives to appropriately share and receive feedback from co-workers
● Maintains the physical and emotional safety of course and training participants
● Contributes to maintaining safe, fun, and engaging client experiences
● Curiosity and commitment to professional development, including gaining and advancing their technical outdoor and people skills.
CERTIFICATIONS or a willingness to obtain immediately upon hiring
● WFR (wilderness first responder)
● Satisfactory completion of NCOAE’s Instructor Course
● Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
● Positivity, teamwork, enthusiasm, and desire to learn new things.
● Proactive problem solvers who offer concrete solutions to real-time challenges.
● People who desire to be an integral part of a high-functioning team responsible for the care and safety of others.
How to ApplyInterested candidates, please submit a resume and cover letter to: HR@NCOAE.org
49 total views, 2 today