Other Outdoor Counselor
Under the guidance of the Directors, a Cabin Counselor’s goal is to provide a safe and healthy environment for all campers and staff; live in a cabin with and co-supervise 6-10 campers; lead and assist in teaching one or more activities. Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
– Apply basic youth development principles in working with campers through communication, relationship development, and respect for diversity, involvement and empowerment of youth.
– Oversee cabin activities, enforce cabin and camp rules.
– Assure campers are properly supervised at all times.
– Participate in the development and implementation of activities for campers within the mission of camp.
– Assist in program areas such as waterfront, and any other camp activity as directed.
– Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities for campers and staff
– Be a role model to campers and staff in your attitude and behavior.
– Maintain a safe, clean and respectful living environment.
– Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, planning, and leading those as assigned
Other tasks or duties deemed necessary by the camp director.
All staff members of Camp Roosevelt Firebird must be able to:
1. Think clearly and exercise good judgement while supervising children in assigned area(s)
2. Work cooperatively with staff and campers.
3. Operate tools, equipment, vehicles, boats and appliances as applicable to job duties.
4. Assist staff and campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, injury or natural disaster.
5. Possess mental, visual and auditory ability to respond to environmental hazards and internal/external threats
Preferred Experience: Applicants should have experience and/or interest in working with children for extended time periods. Counselor should be fun loving and a responsible and empathetic person. May be required to come to camp with current First Aid and CPR certification or higher.
Compensation: Camp Roosevelt Firebird staff must be available from June 6 – August 9, 2020.
Base salary is approximately $255 to $275 per week based upon experience.
9 week base salary for a college freshman is $2300. Additional salary is added to the base for candidiates with specific program certifications and for those taking on addtional responsibilities. Opportunites to work before or after the official camping season are usually available. Staff receive room & board and one 24 hour day off per week. A $300 travel stipend for gas and/or air travel expense is also included above and beyond one’s salary.
How to ApplyVisit our camp staffing page by copying and pasting this: www.camprooseveltfirebird.com/summer-job/ into your web browser. Click/Tap on the Apply Button at bottom of page
202 total views, 1 today