Environment Ecological Monitoring Crew Lead
GBI is recruiting Ecological Monitoring Crew Leads to work with GBI and BLM staff. Each Crew Lead will coordinate a field crew (one Lead will supervise two Technicians) to characterize vegetation using the terrestrial AIM core methods. In some instances, Habitat Assessment Framework (HAF), and/or other supplemental protocols will be performed, for which training will be provided. Aside from core AIM sampling, any supplemental protocols implemented will vary by location.
Duties include following established field protocols to perform vegetation sampling and field data collection at new and existing sampling plots. Data will be used by resource specialists and land managers to inform decisions regarding land management at various temporal and spatial scales. During field work, car camping for 7 night “hitches” in remote locations will typically be required.
Field work will include:
• Maintaining safety awareness and practices;
• Extensive 4×4 driving on unmaintained roads;
• Navigating off-trail to sampling sites;
• Establishing sampling plots and transects;
• Identifying and describing soil horizons to help verify ecological site descriptions (ESDs);
• Collecting vegetation data (including species inventory, forb diversity, species abundance, sagebrush shape, foliar cover, canopy gap, and herbaceous and woody heights);
• Taking photo-points.
Additional duties include:
• Regular communication with GBI support staff and agency staff;
• Participation in GBI and agency trainings;
• Entering data into both Field Maps and Survey 123 software;
• Identifying plants to species using dichotomous keys; and
• Employing extensive QA/QC data checks.
Compensation and Benefits:
Total approximate compensation: $4,340-4,820/month before taxes (approximate hourly equivalent: $27-30), plus health insurance (monthly premiums fully paid by GBI), end of season bonus, and paid time off.
• $1,840-2,080 biweekly salary, depending on experience
• $150 bi-weekly housing stipend*
• $30 per diem for every night camped in the field (up to 7 units in an 8 day work week)
• $32.30/month cell phone stipend
• Affordable Care Act Compliant Health insurance including vision and dental provided at no cost to the employee starting the first day of the month following employment start date.
• Paid federal holidays
• Paid personal time off (amount dependent on contract length)
How to ApplyFor more information and to apply, please visit the Great Basin Institutes website.
61 total views, 1 today