Environment Environmental Education and Camp Coordinator
This position is responsible for assisting the Director of Education and Outreach with preparing and implementing of Great Basin Naturalists, Environmental Science camps and STEM-based curriculum for school field studies. This is an AmeriCorps position with the Great Basin Institute located within the Galena Creek Recreation Area.
The Galena Creek recreation area includes Washoe County and U.S. Forest Service lands, and is located in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. High desert, forest, river, wetland, mountain, and rangeland are all ecosystems you will find within our 450-acre regional park. The Great Basin Institute serves as the interpretive association operating the Galena Creek Visitor Center (GCVC) on a day-to-day basis. The Visitor Center is a resource for people throughout the Reno/Tahoe community, as well as a stop for tourists coming from around the world.
Our goal is to provide local youth with opportunities to experience the outdoors in a safe, fun, and engaging setting, and to provide academic, STEM education.
• Assist with the planning, implementation, and teaching of Great Basin Institute at Galena Environmental Science Education Field Study Programs comprising theme-based activities that capitalize on the unique natural setting of Galena Creek Park and the Sierra Nevada region. Themes include natural and cultural history topics such as Animals, Plants, Water, Ecosystems, etc. that allow children to experience the outdoors through discovery-based, STEM education.
• Assist in implementation of the Great Basin Institute at Galena’s Camps and School Residential Field Studies to ensure the success and safety of these programs. School Break Camps and Residential/Extended School Field Studies include hands-on games, hikes, educational activities, teambuilding, field trips, guest presenters, exploration and play. Staff and Students/campers stay in the beautiful WeChMe Lodge three nights a week for five weeks of residential summer camp and varying length of times for residential school field studies.
Compensation and Benefits:
• This is an AmeriCorps position, and candidates will receive a stipend of $300 per week (before taxes). Upon successful completion of the AmeriCorps service term, members shall receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award in the amount of $4,266.50 that can be applied towards qualifying student loans, tuition for Title IV accredited colleges, and other educational expenses.
• Limited health, dental and vision insurance premiums will be completely paid for at no cost to you by the Great Basin Institute and available starting your first day of service.
• Shared, on-site housing is available at no charge.
• Trainings provided include, but are not limited to: First aid and CPR certification.
Timeline: 33-week position beginning March 2nd and extending through October 16th
Additional Position Details:
• Assist the Director of Education and Outreach with the administration, management and supervision of a comprehensive summer camp program serving children ages 8-17. Includes the planning, marketing, promotion, scheduling, educating, execution, and evaluation.
• Assist in training and coordinating Educators, Counselors, and Counselors-in-Training.
• Manage the registration process and logistics related to camp and residential school field studies. Provide the highest level of customer service to parents, Educators, Counselors and students/campers.
• Deliver environmental education curriculum to students and youth both in the field and in the classroom during the Spring and Fall, assist with summer camp educating as needed.
• Enforce camp policies, procedures and regulations.
• Recognize and respond effectively to emergencies.
• Compile statistics and reports to assess and evaluate the success of camps and residential school field studies. Utilize online survey tool and personal interviews to gather parent and teacher feedback.
• Drive an 11-passenger van transporting up to 10 scholarship students to and from camp. Driver’s training will be provided.
• 2 overnight camping trips required.
• Camps include Spring Break Camp, Summer Camp, and Fall Break Camp. Summer Camp includes five weeks of 24 hr/day, Monday-Friday residence at WeChMe Lodge. You will be given breaks and one night off each week. Residential and Extended-Day School Field Studies entail 10 hour days and occur as booked.
• Develop and enhance discovery-based, STEM curriculum for day and residential outdoor education school field studies.
• Lead in assuring the safety of students and campers.
• Present clear, well-organized educational programs that exemplify professional delivery, thematic development, and cohesive structure that are consistently appropriate for the activity and the audience.
• Communicate effectively and develop relationships with participating teachers, parents and chaperones.
• On occasion, assist with staffing the GCVC information desk, providing customer service, and assisting in daily upkeep of the GCVC
• Bachelor’s Degree in education or the natural sciences;
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, particularly in customer service;
• Strong leadership skills;
• Experience working with K-12 students;
• Campfire skills (song leading, guitar, storytelling) desirable;
• Enthusiasm and commitment to youth outdoor education;
• Able to work in harsh and rapidly changing environments, work in all types of weather conditions, and otherwise maintain good physical condition.
• Comfortable working a varied schedule where some days are longer than 8-hrs and some are shorter.
• Able to hike up to 3 miles in a single day.
• Looking for applicants who are flexible, adaptable, and optimistic.
• Meet AmeriCorps eligibility requirements:
1. U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status.
2. Must be at least 17 years of age.
3. Received a high school diploma or GED (or be willing to achieve this before using education award).
4. Eligible to receive and AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime or equivalent of 2 full-time awards), and
5. Pass state and federal criminal background checks.
How to ApplyPlease apply on the Great Basin Institute website at the following link: http://crcareers.thegreatbasininstitute.org/careersmobile/careers.aspx?rf=PD&req=2019-GCVC-004
2335 total views, 2 today