Environment Fire Impact Monitoring (Vegetation) Technician
GBI is recruiting Post Fire Monitoring Technicians to work with GBI and BLM staff. Each technician will work with one other technician under the supervision of a Field Lead to characterize vegetation using the terrestrial AIM core methods. This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LciTBPG2-Ss&feature=youtu.be) highlights the national BLM AIM strategy for landscape-scale data capture across western states.
The Bureau of Land Management in the state of Nevada is collecting terrestrial AIM data to inform management decisions related to hazardous fuels reduction and Emergency Stabilization and Rehabilitation (ESR) treatments. Monitoring data is needed to determine the locations and desired types of treatments, and to evaluate treatment effectiveness, and to help inform future management decisions on how and when to implement treatments. Crews will collect standard AIM protocols and Plant Density to help inform BLM ESR treatment decisions and restoration efforts. During field work, car camping for 7 night “hitches” in remote locations will typically be required.
Field work will include:
• Maintaining safety awareness and practices;
• Extensive 4×4 driving on unmaintained roads;
• Navigating off-trail to sampling sites;
• Establishing sampling plots and transects;
• Identifying and describing soil horizons to help verify ecological site descriptions (ESDs);
• Collecting vegetation data (including species inventory, forb diversity, species abundance, sagebrush shape, foliar cover, canopy gap, and herbaceous and woody heights);
• Taking photo-points.
Compensation and Benefits:
Total approximate compensation: $3,500-3,800/month before taxes (including benefits the approximate hourly equivalent: $22-24/hour), plus health insurance (monthly premiums fully paid by GBI) and paid time off.
• $18-20/hour depending on experience
• $150 bi-weekly housing stipend (Pro-rated if less than 80 hours worked)*
• $30 per diem for every night camped in the field (up
to 7 units in an 8 day work week)
• Affordable Care Act Compliant Health insurance
including vision and dental provided at no cost to
the employee starting the first day of the month
following employment start date.
• Paid federal holidays
• Paid personal time off (amount dependent on contract
How to ApplyFor more information and to apply, please visit the Great Basin Institutes website.
37 total views, 1 today