Other Outdoor Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Technician at Bryce Canyon National Park
The Great Basin Institute, in cooperation with the National Park Service (NPS) Bryce Canyon National Park (BRCA), is recruiting an Integrated Pest Management Technician to participate in pest management duties, such as exclusion, trapping, and applying pesticides; training staff on proper trapping protocols and educating staff on pest-related diseases in the park; and assisting with wildlife management duties, such as Utah prairie dog deltadust applications and bat monitoring.
This opportunity will provide the selected candidate with experience in park pest management while ensuring health and safety of visitors and employees, and conserving park natural and cultural resources.
• Assist with implementing pest management throughout the park.
o Order supplies and maintain inventory.
o Support management of the IPM project budget.
o Assist Park Staff with removal of animal pests from park buildings.
o Provide training and information to park employees and visitors regarding pests and associated diseases and safe protocols for managing pest issues.
• Assess pest-related needs in park facilities.
o Prioritize park facilities for assessments.
o Evaluate facilities for exclusion, trapping, and monitoring needs.
o Provide a report on facility conditions in regards to pest issues and needs.
• Install exclusion measures, or other pest management features, in park facilities.
o Acquire materials for effective exclusion.
o Install exclusion measures on park facilities.
o Evaluate and report on effectiveness of exclusion measures.
• 31-week appointment beginning June/July, 2021
• Full time (40 hours/week)
Bryce Canyon National Park is located in southwestern Utah. Natural, cultural, and recreation resources abound in the park and throughout this region. The park offers beautiful red rock and hoodoo formations, a wide variety of programs and events, as well as hiking and camping opportunities. The region includes other unique and awe inspiring parks such as Zion National Park, Cedar Breaks National Monument, Capitol Reef National Park, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, and many more. It’s an adventurer’s wonderland.
Compensation and Benefits:
• Wage: $16.00 per hour
• Housing Stipend: Approximately $90/week
• Paid leave and holidays
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance available at no cost
• Paid training opportunities
• Rabies vaccination costs covered (if needed)
• Bachelor’s Degree with major course work in Pest Management, Wildlife Management or a closely related field;
• Academic and applied background in ecology, wildlife, vegetation management, and structural pests and their control;
• Familiarity with principles of integrated pest management and interest in applying them in indoor and outdoor settings;
• Ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally, with a diverse audience;
• Demonstrated strong organizational skills and ability to work cooperatively as well as independently;
• Driver’s license and clean driving record;
• Ability to work effectively in a team setting with park staff, volunteers, and visitors; and
• Willingness and ability to consistently enact high performance standards and a strong work and team ethic in support of the mission of GBI and the goals of the NPS.
Note: A current rabies vaccination is required to perform this work. Applicants with a current vaccination (documentation required) are preferred; vaccination will be provided, if needed.
The successful applicant must complete a Department of Interior (DOI) Background Investigation (BI) or submit paperwork to NPS human resources indicating an active and fully adjudicated BI has already been completed prior to beginning position. If you already have a fully adjudicated BI, please let us know in your application.
How to ApplyPlease visit our employment web page to apply directly through our online portal: https://www.vscyberhosting.com/greatbasin/careers.aspx?rf=ADVENTUREJOBS&req=2021-RAP-046 We conform to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit Retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.
60 total views, 1 today