Environment Invasive Species Technician
The Great Basin Institute, in cooperation with U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), is recruiting an Invasive Species Technician for Pahranagat and Moapa Valley National Wildlife Refuges (NWRs). The selected candidate would be responsible for familiarizing themselves with native upland and wetland flora so that they may identify invasive and non-native species that post potential risks to the refuge’s diverse ecosystems. The recipient will work independently and with others to accomplish refuge work plans to manage native habitats and wildlife to achieve the purpose of the refuge, and to provide critical wetland habitat for migratory birds, with special emphasis on waterfowl.
Specific tasks may include (but are not limited to):
– Inventory and monitor invasive species occurring on the refuge with use of GIS applications.
– Implement the refuge’s Integrated Pest Management System (IPM) to treat invasive species occurring on the refuge, with special focus in wetland habitats using chemical and mechanical methods.
– Track project work progress and assist with documentation of invasive species treatments.
– Act as a crew leader to lead invasive species treatments with volunteers and public groups conducting service projects on the refuge.
– Assist with restoration efforts after invasive species eradication
– Aid in the installation/construction of signs and barriers where necessary, to prevent the degradation of sensitive habitat.
– Complete necessary reporting of activities to recipient, Southern Nevada
– Restoration Team, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for databases or data calls, as needed.
– Participate in other tasks to fulfill the purpose of the refuges and mission of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is an AmeriCorps position and technicians will receive a living allowance. This is not an hourly wage or a salary and is paid to members every other week throughout the 12-month service term. Upon completion of AmeriCorps service, members shall receive an additional Education Award that can be used for paying off qualified student loans or paying tuition for a Title IV accredited college.
• Living allowance: $32,968.00
• Education Award: $6,495.00 upon successful completion of full-service term.
• Housing is available onsite at Pahranagat NWR (approx. $150/month).
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance available at no cost
• Paid leave and holidays
– Possess a valid, state-issued driver’s license and clean driving record;
– Ability to safely drive a 4WD vehicle on unimproved roads;
– Ability to self-direct and self-motivate
– Ability to work productively, consistently and cooperatively as part of a team to accomplish mutual goals;
– Possess strong organizational skills;
– Ability to communicate clearly and efficiently with the public, coworkers, and – – Technical Advisors both orally and in writing, and respond in a professional manner to inquiries from the public regarding work activities;
– Ability to safely conduct strenuous fieldwork requiring regular physical exertion including hiking on uneven terrain;
– Ability to lift and carry heavy items, such as equipment packs weighing up to 50 pounds, on a regular basis;
– Familiarity with backcountry, low-impact principles preferred
– Bachelor’s degree in biology (botany or conservation), wildlife ecology or management, or related field.
– Familiarity and experience with restoration approaches and techniques
– Plant identification skills and previous experience in invasive plant management and/or restoration ecology desirable
– Familiarity with and interest in the ecology of aquatic desert habitat and associated resource management issues;
– Experience in collecting data accurately and completely and entering data correctly into a computer system;
– Ability to use GPS units to record and locate points and to record field data; and
– Familiarity with use of ArcGIS to create, import, and export maps and data.
How to ApplyApply at: https://www.vscyberhosting.com/greatbasin/Careers.aspx?req=2023-ACI-037&type=JOBDESCR
26 total views, 2 today