Environment Program Instructor
Are you passionate about inspiring the next generation of environmental leaders? Translate your passion to action with YMCA Earth Service Corps (YESC). YESC is seeking to fill multiple AmeriCorps community service positions to start in September 2023.
Program Description: YMCA Earth Service Corps is leadership through environmental service. The mission of YESC is to empower young people to become effective, responsible, global citizens by providing opportunities for service-learning, environmental education, and cross-cultural awareness. Program Instructors serving with YMCA Earth Service Corps will play a crucial role in delivering high quality positive youth development programming to teens in the Greater Seattle Area. YESC is a multi-faceted program that combines school-based environmental clubs, service-learning projects, outdoor opportunities, and regional environmental education events into a comprehensive model that minimizes barriers to participation and allows for engagement of diverse populations across socioeconomic, race, ethnic, gender & sexual identity, and geographic spectra.
Position Description: Each Program Instructor will mentor and develop youth leaders through the implementation of youth-directed school-based clubs that provide opportunities for environmental service and skill development which instill confidence, build character, and support youth in reaching their fullest potential. Program Instructors will foster strong relationships, empower youth to be effective leaders, and engage them in outdoor experiences and hands-on volunteerism that increases environmental knowledge, instills stewardship behaviors, and addresses the environmental issues facing the Puget Sound community.
Program Instructors will:
• Serve weekly with 5-6 middle or high school environmental service clubs over the course of the school year by facilitating environmental and service experiences, mentoring youth, fostering relationships, connecting with volunteer Club Advisors, and recruiting teen participants.
• Mentor teens as the youth initiate, plan and implement environmental service-learning projects in their schools, neighborhoods, and communities.
• Plan and facilitate regional environmental projects including habitat restoration; outdoor opportunities including day hikes, snowshoeing, and kayaking; and educational field trips that foster strong connections between youth and the natural world.
• Collaborate to plan four large-scale regional events including two 150+ person environmental conferences and two overnight Eco-Retreats.
• Collaborate with staff, teen participants, and volunteers to enhance and improve programming through the development of new curriculum, resources and community partnerships.
• Maintain strong relationships with existing community partners and engage new community partners to support and advance youth experience.
• Manage social media platforms, create content, and represent the YMCA brand to engage YESC audiences and recruit youth participants to the program.
Program Instructors will be based at the Cascade People’s Center in Seattle while spending time each day traveling to schools in neighboring cities and throughout the Puget Sound. This position will require willingness to engage in outdoor program activities such as habitat restoration, service projects, hikes, kayaking, snowshoeing, etc. in all weather conditions. Training is provided for these activities. Some evening and weekend hours are required. This position may require a vehicle.
• Training, experience and professional development, including and not limited to: facilitation, participant-centered youth development and mentorship, office and administrative skills, wilderness skills, Pacific Northwest ecology, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, First Aid & CPR, Y Mini-Bus Driver Training, and Teen Abuse Prevention Training
• Connections to Puget Sound and King County area environmental and educational organizations
• Strong and supportive service environment and community-minded staff team
• Living stipend of $2,171.43 per month provided by Washington Service Corps (before taxes); Washington Service Corps Equity Enhancement increasing the stipend up to $2548 per month available to eligible members
• Student loan forbearance and interest accrual payment (on qualifying loans)
• $6,895 Education Award provided by National Service Trust (upon successful completion of service term)
• Serving in a full-time AmeriCorps position qualifies as “employment” towards the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program
• Health Insurance (member only)
• Monthly Food Assistance (if qualified)
• Subsidized childcare provided by GAP Solutions Inc. (if qualified)
• Monthly ORCA Transit Pass and Mileage Reimbursement
• YMCA Membership
• Access to discounted gear and equipment through pro deals
How to ApplyApplication: Interested individuals are encouraged to visit the AmeriCorps National posting to apply: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?fromSearch=true&id=80574. For more information about YMCA Earth Service Corps or the position, please contact us at email@example.com or 206-587-6116. Eligibility: Applicants must be at least 21 years old. For more information on the AmeriCorps program, visit www.americorps.gov.
95 total views, 1 today