Environment Restoration or Trail Crew Member (fall/winter)
Spend a season or more working and camping outside at some of Nevada’s premier natural areas. Serve alongside volunteers from across the country while making a lasting contribution to Nevada’s natural resources and heritage. Gain valuable field experience while working on habitat improvement, restoration, and recreation projects with the U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, the National Park Service, and many other federal and state agencies. Learn firsthand from federal employees and specialists about natural resource and conservation careers. Projects may include trail construction and maintenance, hazardous fuels reduction, and habitat restoration.
Fall/Winter projects in Southern Nevada may include:
•Mountain Bike trail construction and maintenance at Kershaw-Ryan State Park in Caliente, Nevada
•Forest thinning in Susanville, California with the Bureau of Land Management
•Habitat restoration at Lake Mead National Recreation Area
•Fuels reduction and habitat restoration in southern Nevada with the Nevada Department of Wildlife
•Post wildfire restoration and planting at Spring Mtn National Recreation Area with US Forest Service
•Fence construction at Death Valley National Park
•Restoring and improving habitat, planting native plants, removing invasive plants on public lands;
•Camping up to seven nights in wilderness setting without formal restroom facilities or running water;
•Making a commitment of national service to our landscapes and communities;
•Maintaining a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service;
•Communicating effectively with crew members, crew leaders, NCC staff and agency project staff;
•Complying with both production and quality work standards established by NCC Administration, crew supervisors and project partners;
•Contributing to basic duties at the campsite including cooking, cleaning and organizing crew equipment;
•Showing respect when interacting with other members, leaders, staff, project sponsors and community members;
•Participating in in-field education sessions;
•Percentage of time spent on: labor– 70%, traveling– 20%, hiking– 10%;
•Lifting 25lbs continuously and 50lbs occasionally.
• 3 month AmeriCorps Term – September 21, 2020 to December 18, 2020
• 6 month AmeriCorps Term – September 21, 2020 to March 26, 2021
• Las Vegas, NV
• You will be based out of our Las Vegas Field Office on 4- or 8-day “tour” schedule. Camping locations are provided during the workweek. We will not provide housing nor sign leases, but we can assist with identifying housing options.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is an AmeriCorps position; candidates will receive a living stipend dependent on their length of service. The living stipend is a fixed amount, not an hourly wage or a salary. The stipend is paid to members in bi-weekly installments throughout their term of service. Upon completion of AmeriCorps service members shall receive an additional education award also dependent on the length of service that can be used for paying off student loans or paying tuition for a Title IV accredited college.
• 3 month AmeriCorps service term: $4,400 living stipend (approximately $650 every two weeks before taxes)
• 6 month AmeriCorps service term: $8,800 living stipend (approximately $650 every two weeks before taxes)
• 3 month (450 hour) AmeriCorps service term: $1,612.43
• 6 month (900 hour) AmeriCorps service term: $3,047.50
For every day you work in the field with us you will receive $7.25. This is in addition to your Living Allowance and on average is $58.00 biweekly. Crews typically combine per diem funds and shop/prepare meals as a team.
• First Aid & CPR certification
• Leave No Trace training
• Trainings will be received depending on what projects your crew is assigned:
-burned area habitat restoration methods
Optional Training & Education we will provide include:
• Defensive Driving Certification
• Off-Road Driving Class
• Resume Building Workshop
• Interview Skills Workshop
• Native Plant Identification
• Invasive Plant Identification
• GPS Unit Training
• Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
• Health Insurance-Limited Health, Dental and Vision Insurance will be completely paid for at no cost to you by the Great Basin Institute
• Student Loan Forbearance offered through AmeriCorps
• Interest Accrual Repayment offered through AmeriCorps
• Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Eligibility through AmeriCorps
• Educational Affiliation Agreements (College Credit)
•Must maintain a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service.
•Be able to communicate effectively with members, crew leaders, NCC staff, and project partners.
•Possess the willingness and ability to work and camp up to seven nights in a row, in a wilderness setting, in all weather conditions, without formal restroom facilities or running water.
•Be able to lift 25lbs continuously and 50lbs occasionally
•Be at least 17 years of age
•Be a US citizen
•Must possess a high school diploma or GED
•Must be eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime or the equivalent of two full-time education awards).*
•All position offers are conditional upon completion of an acceptable check of the National Sex Offender Public Registry and federal criminal background check.
We conform to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit Retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.
How to ApplyFor more information and to apply to the position please visit the following links: 3 month term: https://www.vscyberhosting.com/greatbasin/careers.aspx?rf=ADVENTUREJOBS&req=2020-NCC-003 6 month term: https://www.vscyberhosting.com/greatbasin/careers.aspx?rf=ADVENTUREJOBS&req=2020-NCC-004
1474 total views, 1 today