Water Sea Kayak Program Field Intern
Description of Organization
ETC is a nonprofit, volunteer-based organization that provides outdoor adventure and environmental education experiences for people of all abilities. ETC conducts one- to three-day Sea Kayak, Whitewater Rafting, and Cross Country Skiing trips for youth and adults from under-resourced backgrounds and people with disabilities, as well as extended Youth Leadership Programs for under-resourced youth.
The Sea Kayak Field Intern will be trained to be an adaptive sea kayak guide on one- to five-day sea kayak trips on San Francisco Bay and Tomales Bay for people with disabilities and youth and adults from under-resourced backgrounds. The Field Intern may also assist the Sea Kayak Program Manager with administrative projects as needed.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Provide meaningful, educational, and fun outdoor experiences for ETC participants
• Work within a team of guides to ensure trips are operated in a safe manner
• Take initiative to facilitate activities focusing on group development, kayak instruction, environmental education, and human and natural history
• Aid with trip logistics including but not limited to food buys and preparation, equipment preparation and maintenance, and cleaning/organizing storage facilities and overnight locations
• Occasionally assist with administrative tasks including trip preparation/follow-up and communication with agencies, participants and volunteers
• With the help of the Program Manager, develop and carry out an Intern Project to help improve Sea Kayak Program trips
• Enthusiasm for sharing the outdoors with people of all abilities
• Strong organizational and communication skills
• Experience working with youth or special needs programs preferred
• Experience with environmental education or leading outdoor trips preferred
• CPR and First Aid Certified, or willingness to get certified before starting the position (Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder are preferred)
• Previous experience with sea kayaking preferred
• Reliable transportation to Sausalito, CA and Inverness, CA for trips
• Participation in ETC’s Sea Kayak Guide School and Inclusion Trainings in May, if available
• Individual training from Sea Kayak Program Manager and Program Associate
• Ongoing skills development throughout employment
Term & Commitment
• Flexible start and end dates between now and November 20, 2022. Minimum commitment of at least two months.
• Field Intern works 12 days per month, scheduled at the beginning of each month. Interns will be asked to work on weekday and weekend days and on overnight trips. We can work with you to accommodate your schedule and availability around existing program trips.
Reports To Sea Kayak Program Manager
• Monthly stipend DOE, starting at $600/month
• Use of ETC sea kayak equipment for personal use (subject to ETC boat use policy)
• Access to ETC’s pro purchase programs with various outdoor equipment manufacturers
How to ApplyTo Apply: Submit cover letter, resume, and application (https://etctrips.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/ETC-Field-Internship-Application-Fillable-Form_6.pdf) by email to Sea Kayak Program Manager Andrew Miller @ Kayak@etctrips.org
119 total views, 1 today