Water Sea Kayak Program Manager
Organization: Environmental Traveling Companions (ETC) is an established and respected nonprofit, community-based organization that makes the joy and challenge of outdoor adventures accessible to people with disabilities and youth from under resourced backgrounds, inspiring self-confidence, connection to nature, and stewardship of the environment. ETC’s sea kayaking, whitewater rafting, cross-country skiing, and Youth LEAD programs annually enable over 3,000 participants to enjoy educational and transformational outdoor adventures. We have a small but mighty team of dedicated year round staff, with an amazing crew of seasonal instructors and support staff, and a strong volunteer community of trainers and guides. We are looking for the right person to complete our crew.
Job Summary: ETC is seeking a candidate with a track record in outdoor adventure program leadership, with a passion for community building and providing amazing experiences for people of all abilities. The Sea Kayak Program Manager is responsible for delivering safe, educational, and fun sea kayak trips for our wonderful participants, including the oversight of all program operations and administrative tasks. This is primarily a management position, but also allows for field time training volunteers and seasonal staff, and leading kayak trips primarily from our bases of operations in Sausalito and Tomales Bay.
This position offers a hybrid work schedule, most weeks Tuesday and Thursdays are at the office in Fort Mason, San Francisco with the remaining three days working remotely and/or in the field. Please note some weekend work is required as many of ETC’s trips and events are based on weekends, especially during the busy summer season. A lighter workload and options for extended vacation time exist through the winter months.
Key Responsibilities: With support from the whole ETC team the Sea Kayak Program Manager is responsible for the following duties and responsibilities.
• Program Delivery: Develop and implement comprehensive sea kayak programs, including courses, tours, and expeditions, with a focus on environmental education. Our trips are accessible to people of all abilities and backgrounds and serve communities that are historically underrepresented in outdoor spaces. Provide leadership on 1-3-day sea kayak trips, with occasional longer adventures. 20%
• Staff Management: Recruit, train and support a team of volunteers, interns, and seasonal guides. Including additional seasonal roles such as Program Associate and Operations Manager. Ensuring all guides have the necessary skills and are prepared to deliver safe and engaging experiences for our community. 25%
• Community Engagement: Foster positive relationships with ETC’s talented community working closely with our large network of volunteers, program partners and participants. Support ETC’s Sea Kayak Committee, this committee is in place to provide support to the Program Manager and the Sea Kayak Program. 25%
• Safety and Risk Management: Be an active and engaged member of ETC’s Risk Management Team. Establish and maintain safety protocols, conduct risk assessments, and ensure all participants and guides adhere to our safety guidelines and policies. 5%
• Equipment and Resource Management: Collaborate with the Operations Manager to maintain equipment and resources, ensuring they are in excellent condition and readily available for programs. 10%
• Budget Management: Support with creating and maintaining program budgets, ensuring cost-effectiveness and financial sustainability. 5%
• Environmental Educational: Assist with developing and implementing environmental educational components that promote connection to nature, and stewardship of the environment. 10%
Desired Experience & Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in Outdoor Recreation, Environmental Science, or a related field (or equivalent experience)
• 1-2 years guiding in the outdoors , preferably Sea Kayaking
• Relevant certifications, such as ACA Sea Kayak Instructor, Wilderness First Responder/ CPR (Options exist for acquiring these certifications after hiring)
• Passionate about ETC’s mission and building a dedicated sea kayak community
• Experience leading and facilitating trainings in the outdoors
• Environmental education expertise preferred
• A passion for working with people with disabilities and youth from underrepresented communities
• Experience with volunteer recruitment and management preferred
• Comfortable with general administrative tasks
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, being bilingual is a plus
• Self-motivated and good problem-solving skills
• Enthusiasm, energy and sense of humor always appreciated
Salary range of $67,000 – 77,000 annually, commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience, Full-time exempt position with excellent benefits including paid vacation, health, and dental insurance, 403b retirement plan, access to extensive outdoor pro-deal discounts
Application Deadline: Position open until filled.
We value diversity and inclusion and strongly encourage individuals from all backgrounds; race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, disability status, and ages to apply for this position.
How to ApplyInterested candidates should submit their resume and a cover letter detailing their relevant experience to, Daniel Berger: firstname.lastname@example.org
60 total views, 1 today