Other Outdoor Social Media Technician
Working cooperatively with the National Park Service’s Joshua Tree National Park (JOTR), the Great Basin Institute is recruiting to hire a Social Media Technician. The overarching objective of this position is to assist with public land management as it relates to recreation and visitor services. More specifically, the Technician will aid in a variety of public support activities including, but not limited to:
• Developing social media platforms in conjunction with Park staff, including but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, and YouTube;
• Collecting and analyzing data from online contacts and outreach to help understand trends and offer solutions to possible outreach scenarios that create more online, “virtual” park stewards;
• Writing content for social media posts to engage the park followers and recruit new followers;
• Taking photos using park camera equipment to support park media products including for social media;
• Assist park communications team with printed and digital media such as park brochures, flyers, and web pages.
The Technician will serve as a liaison between other Park Divisions and the Branch of Media within the Park network and will be exposed to and support a variety of other interpretation and outreach activities. This position offers experience working with NPS professionals on public lands and will aid in preparation for a career in public lands recreation management through outreach strategies. Those seeking workforce development experiences for the purpose of public benefit through social media innovation should apply.
• Rate of pay: $20/hour
• Health, Dental and Vision Insurance, completely paid for at no cost to you
• Paid leave accumulation and holidays
• 26 week appointment beginning July/August 2020, or upon completion of a Department of Interior background investigation;
• Potential for a contract extension, pending positive performance review and available funding;
• 40 hours per week; weekend work and occasional overtime work is required.
Joshua Tree National Park encompasses nearly 800,000 acres in southern California, 2- to 3-hour drive from Los Angeles, Phoenix and Las Vegas. Joshua Tree National Park is of special management concern, lying in the transition of the Mojave Desert and the Colorado Desert. Aside from the outdoor recreation opportunities and natural wonders within the park, Death Valley and Grand Canyon National Parks, the Mojave Preserve, as well as Lake Mead and Spring Mountains National Recreation Areas are nearby and afford a diversity of outdoor activities ranging from hiking, mountain biking and rock hounding to fishing, boating and skiing/snowboarding.
• Coursework and/or demonstrable experience utilizing social media platforms and/or website development tools in an official capacity; developing and/or implementing outreach strategies or visitor services activities; or equivalent experience;
• Knowledge of guiding principles of recreation, cultural or natural resource management, desirable;
• Experience providing visitor services, environmental education, outreach and/or interpretation;
• Proven ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally, with a diverse audience including NPS and GBI staff, partner organizations, and the public;
• Motivated, self-starter, detail oriented, and possess good organizational skills;
• Ability to work independently or cooperatively as part of a team focused on accomplishing goals and mission of the NPS and GBI;
• Possess a clean, valid, state-issued driver’s license.
• Ability to work in harsh and rapidly changing environments, in all types of weather conditions, traverse uneven terrain, and be in overall good physical condition; prior experience working in the desert southwest, or similar desert climates, desirable.
• Successful applicant must complete a Department of Interior (DOI) Background Investigation (BI) or submit paperwork to NPS human resources indicating an active and fully adjudicated BI has already been completed prior to beginning position. If you already have a fully adjudicated BI, please let us know in your application.
How to ApplyPlease follow the link to apply directly through our online portal: https://www.vscyberhosting.com/greatbasin/careers.aspx?rf=PD&req=2020-RAP-052 We conform to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit Retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.
582 total views, 1 today